The third meeting between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been added to the long list of major sporting events affected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
After a seventh round knockout win for Fury in their highly anticipated rematch in February, Wilder invoked his rematch clause and the trilogy fight has been set for July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Speaking with ESPN, high-ranking President Bob Arum said the fight has yet to take place, but will be postponed until the fall due to the uncertainty of the COVID epidemic- 19.
“Clearly no [happening on July 18]”Arum told ESPN. “We don’t even know if the MGM will even be open by then. “
Earlier this month, the Nevada State Sports Commission revoked the pending combat licenses until they meet again on March 25 due to security concerns related to COVID-19. On Monday, the NSAC canceled the meeting, leaving the future of combat sports events in the rapidly changing region.
With everything in the air in the world, Arum did not want to take risks guaranteeing a precise date for the fighters, as well as the fans.
“You couldn’t guarantee the fighters that the event would take place on that date. We couldn’t convince them or ourselves, ”said Arum. “Where were they going to train for that? It made no sense. Just take a step back. How are you going to sell tickets? It’s absolutely ridiculous to say that the fight is going on when the British can’t even get there. ”
The first meeting between Fury and Wilder ended with a controversial draw in December 2018. With the health and safety of all those involved in the foreground, Arum joined the majority of the sports world to pump the brakes during ‘a third meeting that will likely generate an incredible amount of money.
A date for the heavyweight shock has not been set, but the timeline appears to be in the fall.
“So everyone has to step back,” said Arum. “Boxing is not isolated. It’s part of what’s going on in the world. So maybe the fight will take place in early October. “