Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told a press conference on Saturday afternoon that the tight-knit Michigan city had been rocked by a “huge spike in threats” following Tuesday’s massacre in Oxford High School, in which four teenagers were killed.
“We are inundated with threats right now,” he said.
“We have threats against the candlelight vigil last night. We have had threats against memorials, we have had threats against individuals, members of Parliament or law enforcement.
“It is absolutely absurd that after a tragedy we see a huge spike in threats, but this is what we see. “
Follow live updates on the Michigan school shooting
Four students were shot dead and seven other students and staff were injured in Tuesday’s shooting that marked the deadliest school shooting in the United States since 2018.
The victims were identified as Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; and Justin Shilling, 17.
Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old sophomore at the school, was arrested at the scene and taken into custody. He was charged as an adult with 24 counts, including four counts of first degree murder and one count of terrorism.
The suspect reportedly posted a frightening countdown to the shooting on social media and kept a diary documenting his plans at the time of the attack, authorities said.
Panic erupted during a vigil held in memory of the four victims on Friday night when someone passed out, raising fears of another attack and sending terrified community members running for their lives.
Images captured by Local4 News showed hundreds of people frantically fleeing the scene in terror as screams filled the air.
Law enforcement officials treated the person in need and managed to calm the chaos, allowing the vigil to continue.
The panic revealed a glimpse of the toll of shooting in the community, coming at a time when the suspect’s parents are said to have fled law enforcement.
Prosecutors charged the suspect’s parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, with four counts of manslaughter for Tuesday’s shooting after allegedly ignoring red flags about their son’s behavior and buying him the gun that allegedly been used in the attack four days earlier.
The Crumbleys were arrested in the early hours of Saturday at a commercial property in Detroit near the Canadian border, after failing to appear for arraignment on Friday afternoon.
They pleaded not guilty to arraignment on Saturday morning and were held on bail of $ 500,000 each.
Their son also pleaded not guilty to his charges Thursday and is being held without bail.