Police officers met who shared photos of murdered sisters on WhatsApp in jail – .

Police officers met who shared photos of murdered sisters on WhatsApp in jail – .

Two police officers who took photos of two murdered sisters after being assigned to guard the premises where they were brutally attacked have been jailed.
Former Metropolitan Police officers Deniz Jaffer, 47, and Jamie Lewis, 33, committed what the parents of the victims called a “sacrilege”.

They had been posted to the cordon where sisters Bibaa Henry, 46, and Nicole Smallman, 27, were found stabbed to death in bushes at Fryent Country Park in Wembley.

Officers took photos after entering the crime scene without permission in the early hours of June 7, 2020, the Old Bailey has learned.

Photos of the victims’ bodies were then shown in person to other police officers and shared on WhatsApp with colleagues and friends.

London Recorder Judge Mark Lucraft QC told Jaffer and Lewis that they risked the integrity of the crime scene and “totally ignored” the privacy of the victims.

He said they took and shared the photographs “for what could only be some sort of cheap thrill, kudos, kick or bragging rights,” and had undermined trust in the services. from police.

“The public rightly expects the highest standards from the police,” Justice Lucraft said. “I am sure that there will be thousands of police officers in this country and abroad totally horrified by your actions. It is appalling and inexplicable conduct.

Jaffer, of Hornchurch, east London, and Lewis, Colchester, Essex, were each jailed for two years and nine months.

Both men pleaded guilty to misconduct while performing public office at the Old Bailey last month and have since been formally dismissed from the Metropolitan Police. They were also banned from serving again as police officers in the future.

Defense lawyers said they felt genuine remorse and pleaded for the suspension of their prison terms, but Judge Lucraft said immediate jail was the “only appropriate sentence.”

He said in addition to the photos, the men made “unpleasant” comments about the victims on WhatsApp and allowed murderer Danyal Hussain to falsely claim they may have contaminated evidence at the crime scene.

Speaking in court, the mother of the victims, Mina Smallman, said: “This is not a day of celebration… we went to hell and came back. ”

She said there was “more work to be done” to change the police culture around WhatsApp and misogyny, which is being investigated in the wake of the murder of Sarah Everard.

The court heard that Jaffer and Lewis had arrived at the cordon around where the bodies of Ms Henry and Ms Smallman were found around 3.30am and that they had been informed of the “general location of the bodies” but had not been shown to them.

Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman in a photo taken from Bibaa’s phone (Metropolitan Police / PA)

(PA thread)

A more junior officer saw the defendants abandon their posts to talk to each other and discuss that the victims had not been covered.

Analysis of their cell phones later showed that Jaffer had taken four photographs of the two murder victims.

He claimed he took them to protect himself against allegations he interfered with the scene and because he was concerned about wildlife.

The court heard that Jaffer said he sent the photos to “show the danger around”.

Lewis took two general scene photos and overlaid his face over one of Jaffer’s photos to create a “selfie style” image with the bodies, which he sent back to his colleague.

Jaffer sent his photographs to a policewoman, who was also guarding the scene, on WhatsApp, then showed the footage in person to other colleagues during a refreshment break.

He then showed them to a “shocked and disgusted” policewoman, whom he was mentoring, at Forest Gate Police Station.

Jaffer and Lewis were members of a WhatsApp group called “A Team” which included 41 Metropolitan Police officers.

Shortly after arriving at the scene of the murder, Lewis shared an article about the discovery of the bodies in the group and wrote that he and his colleagues were ‘living the Wembley dream’.

He shared photos of the general scene in the group and wrote, “Unfortunately I’m sitting next to two dead birds full of stab wounds. “

Jaffer was also part of another group of WhatsApp friends outside of the police, where he wrote: “I have photos of the two deceased victims. Let me know who doesn’t want to see. ”

He also sent a photo of the bodies to a former colleague with the message: “This is what I have to face. “

Mother of sisters murdered at Wembley vows ‘not to let the killer out’

Two other members of the public received photos of him, one of them sent them to his partner, the court said.

On June 19 last year, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) watchdog received an anonymous ‘warning’ about Lewis and the investigation led to Jaffer’s arrest. and the seizure of his telephone.

A separate investigation found that three officers had to respond to misconduct because they were aware of, received or viewed the inappropriate photographs and did not dispute or report them.

Last month, a court ruled that the police had committed serious misconduct. Lewis was immediately fired from the Metropolitan Police and Jaffer was reportedly sacked but had already resigned.

The Met said it has implemented the IOPC’s recommendations and “reminded all officers of the standards they are supposed to meet.”

Assistant Commissioner Helen Ball said: “Our hearts are once again with the family and friends of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman. I am truly sorry that during the most difficult time of their lives, the actions of these two officers caused them so much additional pain and distress.

“All of us, at the Met and in the police service at large, are horrified by their shameful behavior. “

The court heard that Jaffer joined the Metropolitan Police in March 2018, after working as a town trader for 20 years, and that he was married with two teenage girls.

Lewis joined the force in September 2019, after being transferred from the UK Transport Police, where he had served since July 2018. He is divorced and has two young children.

Lewis told court he was traumatized by the aftermath of people hit by trains and felt he had tried to adjust to a ‘negative culture in policing’ .

Hussain was sentenced to life imprisonment last month for targeting the sisters after they went to the park to celebrate Ms Henry’s birthday with friends.

The Old Bailey learned that he made a handwritten promise to a demonic entity called “King Lucifuge Rofocale” to kill six women every six months, which was signed with blood.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here