Newcastle move forward on £ 30million transfer to bolster key area – .

0
11
Newcastle move forward on £ 30million transfer to bolster key area – .


Newcastle United are making progress in their attempts to sign a new goalkeeper after making an approach for Odysseas Vlachodimos, according to reports.
Following their Saudi-backed takeover, there are several areas of the squad that Newcastle could look to invest in during the January transfer window. The warden department appears to be one of them.

Martin Dubravka and Karl Darlow are decent options available to them right now. But there’s a feeling they could do with an upgrade as a full-fledged number one.

A few potential targets have already been mentioned for the post. For example, There have been links to Manchester United’s Dean Henderson.

But some believe, in general, that it might be difficult for Newcastle to do business in the domestic market in January. Instead, they may have to look further.

With that in mind, perhaps, they’re now linked with Vlachodimos from Benfica.

According to Sunday mirror – following reports from Portugal throughout the week on an interest – Newcastle have contacted the Portuguese side over a move for the Greece international.

Vlachodimos would have been the subject of reconnaissance missions of the Magpies. Now things seem to be moving forward.

The 27-year-old is said to be interested in moving to the Premier League. For that to happen, however, his current club must receive a fee to their liking, which is said to be in the order of £ 30million.

Newcastle have the money to spend but must decide whether or not it would represent good value for money.

In the meantime, Benfica could still try to thwart them by trying to extend Vlachodimos’ contract. It is currently set to expire in 2023, which will put them at risk next year.

The Primeira Liga team have been in Vlachodimos since 2018. They are keen to at least keep him until the end of the season. But longtime Newcastle admirers could test their resolve in the winter.

Vlachodimos to sit behind new defenders?

As well as looking for a new number one, Newcastle can invest in defense in front of their keeper.

Eddie Howe wants to bring in an experienced defensive line Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee and James Tarkowski at St James’ Park, according to reports.

A report in The sun claims England right-back Trippier would cost around £ 25million. Also a target of Man Utd, he is said to demand hefty salaries.

Howe also wants Mee and Tarkowski from Turf Moor, who are both out of contract this summer.

Burnley’s struggles this season are due to the fact that he hasn’t scored enough goals, his defense is doing pretty well.

Tarkowski has been seen as a Newcastle target for some time, with Steve Bruce previously wanting the English man.

If Newcastle can get them for new boss Howe, only time will tell. Moreover, it is not yet clear who will play in the goals behind them in the long term.

READ MORE: Newcastle target eager to move, but only if ‘astronomical’ offer attracts Real Madrid



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here