I am Samantha Lock and I will bring you all the latest developments from around the world. Let’s dive into it.
The Omicron variant was found in at least 15 we states so far the head of the United States Centers for Disaster Control and Prevention said Sunday.
“We know that we have several dozen cases and we are monitoring them closely. And we hear more and more likely cases every day, so that number is likely to increase, ”CDC director Dr Rochelle Walensky told ABC News in an interview, adding that the Delta variant remains the majority in cases nationwide.
Omicron has been detected in the northeast, the south, the great plains and the west coast. Wisconsin, Missouri and Louisiana are among the latest states to confirm cases.
GermanyThe new incoming government is expected to make Covid vaccinations mandatory for workers in hospitals, nursing homes and other medical staff by March 16, according to the bill seen by Reuters.
The Social Democrats, Greens and Free Democrats, who are expected to form Germany’s new government on Wednesday, are expected to present the legislation to parliament in the coming week.
Here is an overview of the main developments:
- Events in Brussels, Belgium, against government restrictions to suppress Covid turned violent on Sunday, with police firing tear gas and water cannons at protesters who threw cobblestones and fireworks.
- There was a “concerning” jump to 183 confirmed cases of the Omicron variant in Denmark, local health authorities said.
- Five senior health officials at Jordan were sentenced to three years in prison on Sunday for causing the death of ten Covid patients in March following an oxygen failure.
- Russia recorded 32,602 infections and 1,206 deaths.
- Poland confirmed 22,389 cases and 45 deaths.
- Italy reported 15,021 new Covid cases and 43 deaths on Sunday, 16% more than 12,927 on the same day last week.
- The UK detected 43,992 positive Covid infections in the past 24 hours, up 21% from 36,507 cases on Sunday last week. 54 other deaths have been reported.
- France recorded 42,252 new Covid infections in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said, a percentage change of 188% from the 14,646 cases recorded on Sunday three weeks ago.
- Singapore detected 552 Covid infections and 13 deaths on Sunday, bringing the seven-day average to 971 cases per day.
- The UKThe NHS will be in a “very, very difficult position” if the Omicron variant were to lead to an increase in hospital admissions in the UK, the president of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine has warned.
- The Omicron variant is highly transmissible, but has less than a 1% chance of reinfection and usually results in “milder” disease, a South African researcher as said.
- Covid is not over and the next pandemic could be deadlier, said Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine creator Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert.
- The World Health Organization continues to reject travel bans against southern African countries, with Managing Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeting that it is “disappointing” and “appalling” to see flight bans.