But plenty of players and teams rushed to make deals after Thanksgiving and before the lockout, leading to a hectic free agent frenzy. Seven of the top 10 free agents signed on Wednesday:
- SS Carlos Correa : Unsigned
- SS Corey Seager :
- 3B / DE Kris Bryant: Unsigned
- SI Marcus Seeds: 7 years, $ 175 million with the Rangers
- 1B Freddie Freeman : Unsigned
- LHP Robbie Ray : 5 years, $ 115 million with Mariners
- RHP Max Scherzer : 3 years, $ 130 million with the Mets
- RHP Kevin Gausman : 5 years, $ 110 million with the Blue Jays
- RHP Marcus Stroman : 3 years, $ 71 million with Cubs
- FROM Starling Mars:
The Rangers and Mets have been the most active teams in free agency and it’s not particularly close either. In addition to Seager and Semien, Texas also signed right-hander John Gray and outfielder Kole Calhoun. The Mets signed infielder Eduardo Escobar and outfield Mark Canha in addition to Scherzer and Marte. The two clubs have pledged more than $ 800 million for free agents.
Although free agency has been very active in recent days, the Marlins have been one of the few teams active in the trading market. The Marlins acquired receiver Jacob Stallings from the Pirates and infielder Joey Wendle from the Rays this week and sent wide receiver Jorge Alfaro to the Padres.
Did you miss some of the action? Here’s a look at the notable deals that were signed before the MLB lockdown:
Notable offers on hot stoves
- Corey Seager and the Rangers struck a 10-year, $ 325 million pact (full story here).
- Max Scherzer and the Mets have finalized a three-year, $ 130 million deal (full story here).
- Robbie Ray agreed to a five-year, $ 115 million deal with the Mariners (full story here).
- Marcus Stroman has struck a deal with the Chicago Cubs, he announced on Twitter (full article here).
- James Paxton and the Red Sox have agreed to a single, one-year contract for the southpaw (full story here).
- Marcus Semien agreed to a seven-year, $ 175 million contract with the Rangers (full story here).
- Javier Báez has agreed to a six-year, $ 140 million contract with the Tigers (full story here).
- Chris Taylor made a deal to return to the Dodgers (full story here).
- Corey Knebel signed a one-year contract with the Phillies (full story here).
- The Marlins and Avisaíl García struck a four-year, $ 53 million deal (full story here).
- Kevin Gausman and the Blue Jays have struck a five-year, $ 110 million deal (full story here).
- Jon Gray and the Rangers struck a four-year, $ 56 million deal (full story here).
- Rich Hill signed a one-year, $ 5 million contract with the Red Sox.
- Leury Garcia signed a three-year contract with the White Sox, by Jon Heyman from MLB Network.
- Corey Kluber signed a one-year contract with the Rays after spending 2021 with the Yankees (full story here).
- Relief Kirby Yates signed a two-year, $ 8.25 million contract with the Braves, the team said.
- Reliever Daniel Hudson is approaching a one-year, $ 7 million contract with the Dodgers, by Jeff Passan of ESPN.
- Wide receiver Yan Gomes agreed to a two-year, $ 13 million contract, reports Craig Mish.