To make sure she stays that way, Brandon, MB’s mother has booked annual flu shots on Nov. 24 for herself and her daughter at the Keystone Center in Brandon. But she says she got more than she asked for.
“We went over there to get our flu shot, and instead of getting the flu shot, they gave us the two Pfizer adult vaccines,” Bardarson said.
The Keystone Center is also home to one of the province’s COVID-19 vaccine supersites.
A pediatric version of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which is one-third of the version strength for ages 12 and older, was recently approved for use in children aged 5 to 11.
But children under five – like Dali – are not eligible for any of the COVID-19 vaccines currently available.
As for Jenna Bardarson, she has received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and is not due for her third until January.
She was shocked when a health care provider told her that a mistake had been made.
“I was worried about… my daughter because we were starting to have side effects and stuff,” she said. “I was really angry and wanted to talk to someone. “
Bardarson says she and her daughter had fever and headaches. Dali started to vomit a few days after receiving the injections.
More than a week later, Bardarson says she still hasn’t been able to get a response from health officials on how the vaccine that was mistakenly given to them might be impacting her. health or that of his daughter.
Bardardson says she doesn’t want her experience to deter others from getting the vaccine, but encourages them to ask questions.
“If you walk in and take your kid or even yourself just for a flu shot … check with your health care provider or whoever does, just make sure they have the right one.” drug, ”she said.
Bardarson says she understands healthcare workers can be tired and overworked, but says mistakes like this are dangerous.
Low risk of error: Manitoba Health
In an emailed statement to CBC, Manitoba Health and Seniors’ Care acknowledged that a woman and a three-year-old child were mistakenly given an adult dose of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and said they investigated the incident. .
Such medication errors “are rare, but they do happen,” the statement said.
The parent “was made aware of the error and provided information about the risks, which in this case were low,” the health department said.
He also said staff from the Prairie Mountain Regional Health Authority contacted Bardarson and further discussed the matter, and provided him with an update on the investigation.
“Follow-up conversations took place with the vaccinator involved and based on their immediate recognition of the error and disclosure to a supervisor, no further corrective action was taken,” Manitoba Health said.
Bardarson told CBC she hopes new measures are put in place to ensure a similar incident doesn’t happen to anyone else.