At least eight people have been killed and hundreds more injured after a huge surge in crowds at the opening night of the Astroworld music festival in Houston, Texas.
Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena told reporters the crowd squeezing towards the stage occurred while Travis Scott was performing.
The surge occurred around 9 p.m. Friday night. The show was canceled shortly after several people began to suffer from injuries. Authorities transported 17 people to hospital, 11 of them with cardiac arrest, Pena said. More than 300 people were also treated on site at NRG Park, where a field hospital had been set up.
Follow the latest updates below:
‘Our hearts are broken,’ says county judge
Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo called it an “extremely tragic night” as families waited to see if their loved ones were safe. The Houston Police Department is in the process of identifying casualties in hospitals, and a reunification center has been set up at the Wyndham Houston Hotel at 8686 Kirby.
“Our hearts are broken,” Hidalgo said. “People go to these events looking for a good time. This is not the kind of event where you would expect to find fatalities. “
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 10:48 AM
Hotline set up for families looking for relatives at the festival
The Houston Emergency Management Office has set up a hotline for families looking for loved ones who attended the Astroworld music festival.
“If you were unable to contact your loved one who attended #ASTROWORLDFest, please call 832-393-2991 or 832-393-2990,” the office wrote on Twitter.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 10:30 AM
Tributes pour in for the victims of Astroworld
Tributes have started pouring in for the victims of the Astroworld music festival incident which left at least eight dead and hundreds in need of treatment.
“The #Astroworld event has been canceled for Saturday! Please keep the eight victims and the hundreds of injured in your thoughts and prayers, ”the Houston Office for Emergency Management wrote on Twitter.
Another Twitter user added, “My heart breaks for the people who have lost their lives, been injured or traumatized at Astroworld. With all the shows and events I have attended, I can’t even imagine something like this happening to me or my friends.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 10:20 AM
Travis Scott has yet to make a public statement following the festival’s deaths
Travis Scott has yet to make a public statement after eight deaths at the third annual Astroworld music festival.
Performances by artists Drake, 21 Savage and SZA marked the first day of the celebration before a huge crowd around 9 p.m. brought the show to a close as a mass casualty incident was declared.
In 2019, three people were trampled on and hospitalized as thousands rushed to participate in the festival taking place in Scott’s hometown.
Our reporter Ellie Harrison has the full report below:
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 9:58 AM
Videos circulated on social media of “hundreds” of fans walking past festival security around 2pm with reports of ABC13 Houston saying people were trampled on as fans tried to enter.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 9:36 AM
Travis Scott stopped by several times during the performance to check on fans
Officials said the crowd of around 50,000 participants started rushing to the stage during Travis Scott’s set at around 9 p.m. Friday night.
The Houston Chronicle reported that Scott had stopped several times during his 75-minute performance, after spotting fans in distress and requesting that security check their welfare and safely escort them out of the crowd.
Our reporter Celine Wadhera has the full report below:
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 9:19 AM
Astroworld music festival canceled
NRG Park, where the Astroworld festival is held, has announced that the event has been canceled following the incident which left many people dead on the first day which left eight people dead and many injured.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 8:48 AM
Patient as young as 10 has been treated, says fire chief
Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena told reporters that a patient barely 10 years old was treated in the incident that left eight people dead at the Astroworld music festival.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 8:45 AM
Establishment of an information post on missing persons following a mass casualty incident
Houston Police have confirmed that a missing persons information site has been set up to help families search for loved ones who were at the festival.
“A #astroworld missing persons information command post has been set up at 8686 Kirby (Kirby at 610 Loop) – the Wyndham Hotel. If you need information on a loved one who has not been located, please go to this address, ”he wrote on Twitter.
Thomas KingsleyNovember 6, 2021 8:35 AM
“We immediately started doing CPR,” the police chief said
Houston Police Chief Larry Satterwhite was near the frontline when the tragedy unfolded.
“It seems like it happened in a matter of minutes – all of a sudden we had several people on the ground going through some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode,” he said. declared.
“We immediately started doing CPR. “
Authorities were not immediately clear what the cause of death was and those who died had not been identified.