Sadiq Khan Admits Entire Metro Line May Have To Shut Down – .

0
14
Sadiq Khan Admits Whole Metro Line May Have To Shut Down – .


Sadiq Khan admitted on Tuesday that an entire metro line may have to shut down due to Transport for London’s financial crisis.

The mayor said removing one of the metro’s 11 lines was a “possibility” unless TfL secures a long-term investment from the government.

Mr Khan told BBC 5 Live: “One of the things we are looking at is the possibility of shutting down a metro line. Why? Because closing a Tube line will save the savings, the cuts, which we have to introduce if we are to balance our books. “
TfL’s current government bailout expires on December 11. He is seeking £ 500million to keep the services running until next April, plus around £ 1.2 billion for 2022/23.
But the absence of any capital guarantees or investment funding to maintain and modernize the metro and the road and bus network has prompted TfL to seek immediate cuts of unprecedented magnitude.
This could include the loss of 100 of the 700 bus lines and a reduction in frequency on 200 other lines, as well as a 9% reduction in metro services.
The Bakerloo and Jubilee lines are said to be the most prone to cuts or closure, but the Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines could also be options due to lower passenger numbers and overlapping rail or tube services.
Mr Khan, speaking at the annual Central London conference in London on Tuesday, revealed that bailout talks have not yet started with the government, although only 12 days remain until expiration of the current agreement.
“There are really so many issues and time is running out,” he told the conference. “This unprecedented financial crisis that TfL is facing could have consequences of such magnitude.
“It won’t be long before London itself no longer has London-style transport services. We will be forced to move into a “managed decline” leading to dilapidated services reminiscent of the 1970s and 1980s.
“It’s not overkill. Bus services are expected to be cut by almost a fifth. Metro services are expected to be cut by almost 10 percent. In practice, this could mean the removal of more than 100 bus lines and the complete closure of an entire metro line. “
When asked which line could get the ax, Mr Khan told 5 Live: “Let’s wait and see. There is still time until the current deal runs out. I hope the government recognizes that you don’t get a national recovery without a recovery in London. You don’t get a London takeover without TfL pulling all the cylinders. “
TfL lost 95% of its tariff revenue at the start of the pandemic. Subway ridership is back to 65% of normal and buses to around 75%, but TfL has fallen behind its budget as many commuters have not made it back to a five-day week when it does. there are few international tourists.
Mr Khan said: ‘The only reason we have financial problems is that Londoners have done the right thing, have not used public transport and our fares have dropped.
“Unless the government gives us a long-term deal by December 11, our choices are very simple. Bus reduction of about 20 percent. Reduction of tubes by about nine percent.
TfL Chief Financial Officer Simon Kilonback said last week that TfL could be forced to “close a line or part of a line entirely or lower cuts across the line. [Underground] network ”.
DLR and London Overground services are also at risk.
TfL is concerned that it will have to issue a “Section 114 Notice” – effectively declaring itself bankrupt and returning the responsibility for services to the government – unless its financial future can be assured.
The Department for Transport said it had already given over £ 4bn to TfL to keep the services running and was focused on building a ‘sustainable financial base in a way that is fair to taxpayers. all over the country ”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here