The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will be activated in the team’s 53-player roster after passing NFL-required COVID-19 protocols, the Steelers announced on Saturday.
Roethlisberger will fly separately from the team charter to Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon in the hopes that he will start Sunday night against the Los Angeles Chargers, according to the team.
Roethlisberger, who is vaccinated, tested positive for the virus on November 13 and needed two negative tests to come out of protocols.
A year ago, Roethlisberger missed a week of training as a high-risk close contact of a teammate who tested positive. He was activated from the reserve / COVID-19 roster this Saturday and threw for 333 yards with four touchdown passes in a win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday the team would design a game plan around Mason Rudolph, who started for Roethlisberger against the Detroit Lions, and would proceed as if he started Sunday night’s game, but he said he “Would leave the light on” for Roethlisberger.
“He’s been injured and had personal discomfort in the past over the 15 years we’ve worked together,” Tomlin said. “He’s always answering that bell, so we’re definitely going to leave the light on for him.” “
Roethlisberger, 39, has been in meetings all week and followed the game plan through virtual meetings with quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan and offensive coordinator Matt Canada. He also spoke to running back Najee Harris and center Kendrick Green, who said Friday the quarterback told him he “was feeling better.”
“I spoke to him every day,” Canada said Thursday. “Talked about the plan, talked about what we think. Obviously, he also met Sully on a daily basis and went through the details of these things.
“He’s getting ready like he’s going to be there and be ready to go. It’s almost exactly like last year. These are just Zoom meetings. We have all practiced this. He is very committed, watches the workouts and knows what is going on. ”