New lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 280 spectators of the Astroworld festival – .

0
14
New lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 280 spectators of the Astroworld festival – .



The lawsuit, filed Wednesday, names defendants including Apple Music, Scott, rapper Drake and Live Nation, alleging they were negligent and could have earned “an exorbitant amount of money” from the event, but have chosen to “cut corners, cut costs and put festival-goers at risk.” “

“Many in the crowd were thrown to the ground and trampled, some were trapped and crushed against other spectators of the concert, while others were compressed against metal barricades,” says the trial. “The catastrophic incident and the resulting carnage were easily foreseeable and avoidable if the defendants had acted reasonably prudently in planning a large-scale festival like Astroworld Fest. “

Live Nation previously said in a statement that it was “heartbroken for those lost and affected” and “will continue to work to provide as much information and assistance as possible to local authorities as they investigate the situation ”.

Drake said in a statement on Instagram last week that his “heart is broken for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives and for all those who are suffering. I will continue to pray for them all and be of help in any one I can. “

The lawsuit seeks $ 2 billion in damages resulting from “extreme pain and suffering, loss of income, emotional distress and medical costs.”

“My clients want to make sure the defendants are held accountable for their actions, and they want to send the message to all artists, event planners and promoters that what happened at Astroworld cannot happen again,” Attorney Thomas J. Henry said in a statement. .

At least 140 lawsuits have been filed in connection with the festival tragedy, according to Harris County District Court records.

A separate lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 125 plaintiffs earlier this week seeks more than $ 750 million in damages to “repair, aid or compensate for the harm and loss suffered” by them. Among the plaintiffs are the family of Axel Acosta Avila, a 21-year-old college student from Tieton, Wash., Who died during the event.

Witnesses described the event as traumatic

Houston Fire Department logs obtained by CNN last week show that spectators at the event have already walked through the festival’s main gate shortly after the 9 a.m. start time and at least eight other violations have been reported throughout the day. Shortly before 5 p.m., Houston police reported “dangerous crowd conditions” at one point.

Minutes before Scott took the stage at 9 p.m., more than 260 people had already been treated, according to newspapers. At 9:33 pm, the police reported “several people trampled, passed out on the front of the scene”. A “Level 1 MCI” – an incident with multiple fatalities – was reported at 9:52 pm, according to newspapers.

9-year-old boy injured at Astroworld festival has died, family lawyer says, bringing death toll to 10

Between 10 p.m. and 11:40 p.m. approximately, 17 people had been transported to hospitals, including at least six in cardiac arrest.

Alex Pollak, CEO of the medical company hired by festival organizers, said this week that his staff had to treat 11 people with cardiac arrest at the same time.

“It’s something I’m going to have nightmares about for the rest of my life,” Pollak said. “The team is extremely broken about this. Seeing so many young people undergo CPR at the same time is just something no one should have to go through. “

Witnesses described traumatic conditions, with some saying they saw lifeless bodies being stepped on amid the chaos while others had to make their way out of the crowds as the music continued.

“It felt like it was the end for me,” said participant Selena Beltran, describing the loss of her balance as a crowd around her began to jump. “Thinking that’s how I’m going to die, I was so scared. ”

” I did not know what to do. It was all happening so fast, but so slowly and I couldn’t react. I just screamed, ”Beltran added.

It is not known what Scott saw of the scene and if he was aware of the condition of the crowd, but it continued to perform until around 10:10 p.m. Scott’s attorney said the artist was not aware of the victim impact statement until the next morning.

CNN’s Natasha Chen contributed to this report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here