Norwegian media published images of the alleged assailant, naked to the waist and wielding a knife. Police initially suggested passers-by were injured, but later said only one policeman was slightly injured.
“We have so far no information indicating that this is linked to terrorism,” Police Chief Egil Joergen Brekke told a press conference.
“For us it seems like a stand-alone act, so there is no reason to fear for the safety of the city for others. He’s someone we know from the past and has a story, ”Brekke told reporters.
The first reports to police shortly before 9 a.m. were of a man with a knife chasing after another person, Brekke said. A nearby patrol car in the Bislett district of northern Oslo rushed to the scene and first attempted to stop the man by running him over before entering a building between a store of flowers and a coffee to stop the progress of the man.
The man managed to open the car door, police spokesman Torgeir Brenden said.
He said “several shots” were fired at the man but did not say whether it was the police in the car who opened fire. Brenden said the perpetrator was rushed to a nearby hospital where he died.
Norwegian media said up to six shots were heard, citing witnesses. Brekke could not give detailed information, claiming that the Norwegian Bureau of Police Investigation is investigating the events – which is customary in Norway when police officers use firearms.
“To my knowledge, there are no other injured,” said Brekke, the police chief.
Last month, a man with a bow and arrow and a knife killed five people in a small town southwest of Oslo.
Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said he understands “very well” why the locals saw Tuesday’s events as dramatic.
“But if you compare with other big cities in Europe, Oslo is a safe city,” he told Norwegian news agency NTB.