Former ‘apprentice’ candidate Zervos quits Trump – .

0
17
Former ‘apprentice’ candidate Zervos quits Trump – .


NEW YORK – A former “Apprentice” candidate who accused former US President Donald Trump of sexual assault dropped her libel case against him on Friday.

Summer Zervos sued the then president in New York state court in 2017, claiming he damaged his reputation when he said she and other women alleging sexual assault and harassment made things up.

Friday’s filing said the case was dismissed and dropped with prejudice, meaning Zervos could not file the same lawsuit in state court in the future. The record also indicates that each party is responsible for its own costs.

Zervos accused Trump of kissing and groping her against his will in 2007, speaking about it during the 2016 presidential campaign. He denied the charges.

Zervos’ attorneys Beth Wilkinson and Moira Penza said in statements that “after five years Ms Zervos no longer wishes to prosecute the accused and has been granted the right to speak freely about her experience.”

“Zervos maintains the allegations contained in its complaint and has not accepted any compensation,” they said.

Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba called Zervos’ decision to drop the case “cautious.”

“She had no choice but to do so, as the facts uncovered in this case made it very clear that our client had done nothing wrong,” Habba’s statement said.

“It is so sad when such things can happen, but so incredibly important to stand up for truth and justice. Only victory can restore his reputation! Trump said in his own statement.

Habba last month asked the court for leave to file a counterclaim against Zervos. Both parties were due to have completed their depositions by December 23.

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted, unless they come forward publicly, as Zervos did.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here