The Portuguese, who has won the prestigious honor five times, took to social media on Monday to refute claims by Pascal Ferré, who spoke with the New York Times before the 2021 prices.
Messi won the men’s award for the seventh time, a record breaking, at the ceremony in Paris on Monday.
Ferré told the New York Times: “Ronaldo has only one ambition and that is to retire with more Ballon d’Or. [awards] than Messi. I know because he told me. “
However, Ronaldo disputed this version of events and took to Instagram to claim that Ferré “lied” during the interview.
“Today’s result explains Pascal Ferré’s comments last week, when he declared that I had confided to him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Ballons d’Or than Lionel Messi”, said a statement from Ronaldo.
“Pascal Ferré lied and used my name to promote himself and the publication he works for. It is unacceptable that the person responsible for presenting such a prestigious award lies like this and disrespects someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or. He lied again today to justify my absence from the ceremony due to an alleged quarantine which has no reason to exist.
“I always congratulate whoever wins, in tandem with the sportsmanship and fair play that has underpinned my career from the start and I do it because I am never against anyone. I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent. I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone. “
Ronaldo added: “My biggest ambition in my career is to win trophies at club level and internationally, for the clubs I play for and my national team. My biggest ambition in my career is to set a good example for anyone who is or wants to be a professional footballer. My biggest ambition in my career is to have my name written in gold in the history of world football.
“I will end by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United’s next game and all that we can still achieve this season alongside my teammates and our fans. For the rest, the rest is just that … “
Sky Sports News contacted France Football for comment.