The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday it had identified the bacterium Burkholderia pseudomallei in the aromatherapy spray.
The spray, “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones,” was found Oct. 6 in the home of a Georgia resident who fell ill with melioidosis in late July, according to the CDC.
The CDC said it would continue to test the bacteria in the bottle to potentially match the bacteria identified in the four patients. Symptoms of melioidosis are similar to those of a cold or flu, according to the CDC.
The contaminated spray was sold in about 55 Walmart stores and on Walmart websites between February and October 21.
Walmart has removed the remaining bottles of this spray and related products from shelves and from its websites.
“Our hearts are with the families who have been affected by this situation,” Inger Damon, director of the CDC’s high-consequence pathogens and pathology division, said in a statement. “At the CDC, we were very concerned to see these serious illnesses linked to time and geography. That is why our scientists have continued to work tirelessly to try to find the potential source of melioidosis infections in these patients. We hope this work can help protect others who may have used this spray. “
The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Walmart have issued a recall for the Lavender Chamomile Room Spray along with five other fragrances in the same product line.
The CDC will continue to investigate whether other fragrances and related aromatherapy brands may pose a risk.