victims of bow and arrow attacks likely stabbed to death – .

0
19
victims of bow and arrow attacks likely stabbed to death – .


HELSINKI – Norwegian police said the Dane suspected of killing five people and injuring three others in an attack last week also used “stab weapons” as well as a bow and arrow to kill his victims.
Police Inspector Per Thomas Omholt said it was likely the 37-year-old suspect, identified as Espen Andersen Braathen, first used arrows to wound his victims and then killed them by stabbing them with one or several unspecified weapons in Wednesday’s attack on Kongsberg, a town of 26,000 people southwest of the capital, Oslo.

“Regarding the weapons, we previously said that a bow and arrows had been used,” Omholt said at a press conference on Monday. “Other weapons that have been used are stab weapons. We don’t want to come out with what type of stabbing weapons were used as not all witnesses at the scene have been interviewed yet. “

Andersen Braathen confessed to the murders and was originally charged with five murders. Omholt, however, said the list of charges would be lengthened as the investigation progressed.

Omholt reiterated the Norwegian police assessment that the suspect’s apparent mental illness was the likely cause of the attack, while Andersen Braathen’s statement that he had converted to Islam became a line less important investigation.

Norwegian police have identified the four female victims as Andrea Meyer, 52; Hanne Englund, 56 years old; Liv Berit Borge, 75; and Gun Marith Madsen, 78. The male victim was Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75. Meyer is originally from Germany and moved to Norway several years ago.

“So far, everything indicates that these victims were chosen at random,” Omholt said, adding that the police had interviewed around 60 witnesses.

The victims all lived on the same street in Kongsberg and several were part of its thriving artist community, Norwegian media reported.

The regional police department received reports on Wednesday evening of a man shooting arrows at the Coop Extra supermarket in central Kongsberg. According to a police timeline, the first information about the attack was recorded at 6:13 p.m. and Andersen Braathen was arrested at 6:47 p.m.

An unarmed police patrol spotted the suspect in the supermarket and Andersen Braathen shot them with several arrows before fleeing. One of the injured was a policeman on leave inside the supermarket. The patrol called for reinforcements and armed police apprehended the suspect, but not before the victims were killed, police said.

The Norwegian domestic intelligence agency has called for an independent investigation into the police delay in capturing Andersen Braathen amid criticism that the police response was too slow.

The Coop Extra supermarket reopened on Monday, saying in a statement that the “tragic incident” had affected its employees, and that its main goal was now to take care of them. No employees were injured in the attack.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here