The USS Connecticut is in “safe and stable condition” after the Oct. 2 incident, according to a statement from the US Pacific Fleet.
The Seawolf-class attack submarine is nuclear powered, but the fleet said its propulsion system was unaffected and “fully operational”.
Two Navy officials, speaking anonymously to the AP news agency, said the purpose of the submarine was unclear, but it was not another submarine .
One of them said it may have been a sunken ship, container or other unexplored object.
The exact location of the collision was not specified in the official statement from the Pacific Fleet, which said it occurred while submerged in “the international waters of the Indo-Pacific region. “.
“Crew safety remains the top priority for the Navy. There are no life-threatening injuries, ”the statement said.
“The extent of the damage to the rest of the submarine is being assessed. The US Navy did not request assistance. The incident will be investigated, ”he added.
Navy officials said two sailors sustained moderate injuries and nine minor injuries, such as bruises and scrapes.
They said the submarine headed for the port of Guam after the incident and was not announced earlier in order to maintain operational security.