Queen spent night in hospital after canceling visit to Northern Ireland

Queen spent night in hospital after canceling visit to Northern Ireland

The Queen spent Wednesday evening in hospital after canceling a visit to Northern Ireland, Buckingham Palace said.

The 95-year-old was due to be on a two-day trip, but doctors told her she would have to rest for a few days at Windsor Castle.

However, she was subsequently hospitalized for “preliminary inquiries”. She returned to Windsor on Thursday.

The Queen was seen by specialists at King Edward VII’s private hospital in central London. His admission would not be linked to the coronavirus. It was her first night in hospital since 2013, when she also spent a night at the King Edward VIII, being treated for gastroenteritis.

A palace source said a “cautious approach” had been taken by the medical team who assisted her. They added that the overnight stay was for practical reasons and that she was working Thursday afternoon, doing “light duties”.

She was reportedly disappointed not to be able to make it to Northern Ireland on Wednesday and reluctantly listened to her doctors’ advice.

During her visit, she was due to meet locals, including schoolchildren from Hillsborough, County Down, after the village was officially named Royal Hillsborough. It is the first village or town in Northern Ireland to be granted royal status.

The Queen was also planning to attend a church service in Armagh on Thursday to mark the centenary of the formation of Northern Ireland.

Last week she was pictured using a cane in public for the first time at a major public event as she attended a service marking the centenary of the Royal British Legion.

Since returning from Balmoral in early October, she had hosted a major global investment summit at Windsor Castle on Tuesday evening, where she was said to have been bright and cheerful. She has maintained a busy calendar of events since the death of her husband Prince Philip at the age of 99 earlier this year.

A palace spokesperson said: ‘Following medical advice to rest for a few days, the Queen went to hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary inquiries, returning to Windsor Castle on time lunch today and stay in a good mood. “


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here