Ontario now plans to take a dozen critically ill COVID patients from Saskatchewan – .

0
15
Ontario now plans to take a dozen critically ill COVID patients from Saskatchewan – .


Ontario now plans to accept twice as many critically ill COVID-19 patients from overworked Saskatchewan hospitals than previously reported.

A note from the Ontario Intensive Care COVID-19 Command Center obtained by CP24 on Monday outlines plans to transfer six patients to Ontario hospitals over a 72-hour period.

But in an interview with CP24 Tuesday afternoon. Ontario Health Executive Vice President Dr Chris Simpson has confirmed that there are also plans to transfer six more patients during Thursday and Friday, bringing the total number of patient transfers from the province of Ontario to 12. West hit hard.

“I think it’s much more efficient for us to bring 12 patients here than it is to mobilize teams to go there, although that’s certainly another option that can always be considered,” he said. “They have, you know, somewhere between 100 and 150 intensive care beds. So bringing only 12 patients here has very little impact on our overall operations, we can easily fit that within our current infrastructure without moving health human resources and it really makes all the difference in the world for the system. Saskatchewan Health Services by freeing up those beds. for patients who could be victims of traffic accidents or who need surgery.

There are currently 315 COVID-19 patients in Saskatchewan hospitals, 85 of them in intensive care.

Meanwhile, in Ontario, a province with 12 times the population, there are only 260 COVID-19 patients who are hospitalized. Of these people, 159 are in intensive care.

Saskatchewan hospitals have suspended all organ transplants, neurosurgery and intensive heart care in an effort to focus resources on COVID-19 patients.

Simpson said he hopes that with the fourth wave that appears to be receding in Saskatchewan, the province could go through “the worst” when it comes to the strain on its health care system.

But he said Ontario is “ready to talk about doing more if necessary.”

Last summer, Ontario also welcomed as many as three dozen COVID-19 patients from Manitoba when its healthcare system was strained.

“Right now I think in the fourth wave in Ontario we’ve seen better than expected numbers in terms of new cases and that means our ICU COVID patient numbers are now between one and 200” on a fairly regular basis and given that the government has made some investments in new intensive care beds, we now have sufficient capacity to support COVID patients and all non-COVID intensive care needs, ”Simpson said. “But we are very aware of the pressures on health human resources and so this needs to be monitored very carefully. I think we have to approach this with a lot of humility, not knowing exactly what’s going to happen.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here