Ontario could see 50,000 laid off education workers if COVID-19 vaccines were required: Lecce – .

0
98
Ontario could see 50,000 laid off education workers if COVID-19 vaccines were required: Lecce – .


TORONTO – Up to 50,000 education workers in Ontario could be made redundant if COVID-19 vaccines were mandatory for this sector, the province’s education minister said on Tuesday.

Responding to the NDP in Question Period, Stephen Lecce said such a policy would mean forgetfulness for tens of thousands of educators as Ontario already faces staffing problems.

“I think we need to be coupled with realism and make sure that any staff that comes into our school has a double test, a negative antigen test, to make sure they’re safe, to be sure. ensuring that our schools can be staffed, and these children can continue to go to school every day, ”he said.

A spokesperson for Lecce said unvaccinated staff had to test negative twice a week.

Read more:

About 80% of education workers in Ontario have certified full COVID-19 vaccination, minister says

The story continues under the ad

“We expect absolute compliance with our directive, as approved by the Chief Medical Officer of Health, otherwise these staff should not enter Ontario schools,” Caitlin Clark said in a statement.

The 50,000 figure includes education workers such as teachers, educational assistants, early childhood educators, principals, board staff, casual staff and caretakers, who are not vaccinated or do not disclose their status.

More than 85 percent of education staff are fully immunized, while the remaining 15 percent have reported not being fully immunized, including having medical exemptions, or have not said anything.

Some school boards, such as the Toronto District School Board, have adopted more stringent policies that include possible termination.









Employees who are fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccination may not benefit from EI

Employees who are fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccinations may not benefit from EI

© 2021 The Canadian Press



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here