Norwegian suspect in bow and arrow attack Espen Andersen Bråthen handed over to health services – .

Norwegian suspect in bow and arrow attack Espen Andersen Bråthen handed over to health services – .

Espen Andersen Bråthen, 37, was charged with murder for the attack, which took place in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening and left five people dead.

Bråthen “does not dispute what happened,” the police spokesman told CNN on Friday.

The prosecution asked a judge to keep the suspect in detention for at least four weeks, including two in solitary confinement, the spokesperson added. The court is expected to render a decision later on Friday, according to a press release from regional police.

The head of the Norwegian Police Security Service (PST), Hans Sverre Sjøvold, told reporters on Thursday that the attack “appears to be an act of terrorism”, but noted that it was important that the investigation continue and that “we can clarify what are the motives of the accused. “

The police had been in contact with the man, notably “because of previous concerns about radicalization,” said police chief Ole Bredrup Sæverud. Officers also revealed that the suspect had converted to Islam.

The suspect had not appeared on their radar this year, however, Sæverud said, saying police had “not received any reports in 2021 regarding radicalization.”

Four women and a man were killed in the attack. They were all between the ages of 50 and 70, Sæverud said.

People laid flowers and lit candles at a vigil for the victims in Kongsberg on Thursday evening, and others stopped to pay their respects at the makeshift memorial on Friday.

Newly inaugurated Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre was due to visit the city on Friday.

A photo released by NKR of Espen Andersen Bråthen, 37, the Kongsberg bombing suspect in Norway, who was arrested on October 13, 2021.

Speaking at a press conference in the capital, Oslo, Thursday, Gahr Støre said he hoped to join the Minister of Justice to express their “support” for those affected.

The tragedy coincided with Gahr Støre’s announcement of the new Norwegian government on Thursday. Acknowledging this at the press conference, he called it a “very special day to present a new government” in light of the country which suffered a “horribly cruel attack on innocent people last night”.

He expressed his relief that the Norwegian police had arrested the suspect, while stressing that the result was still “deeply tragic”.

The PM drew a parallel between Wednesday’s attack and the 2011 Norwegian bombings by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik, adding that two ministers in his new government were survivors of the attacks .

“It was an act of terrorism, and this act that happened yesterday naturally reminds us of those who went through such terrible things and we will support them,” he said.

The Kongsberg attack “shows that our society is vulnerable”, said Gahr Støre, stressing that it is “not good for us to conclude what is the motive, what is behind this action”. He said the Norwegian police “must be allowed to finish their work and clarify” these issues, but that the attack “once again underlines that preparation is a complex task for a company”.

A timeline of events on Wednesday revealed that only 35 minutes elapsed between the first reports to police of a man shooting with a bow and arrows at 6:12 p.m. and the suspect’s arrest at 6:47 p.m.

From what police now know, “it seems pretty clear that probably everyone was killed after police first came into contact with the assailant,” Sæverud said.

The assailant allegedly acted alone, police said.

CNN’s Niamh Kennedy contributed to this report.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here