SEOUL, October 3 (Reuters) – North Korea said on Sunday that the United Nations Security Council is applying double standards on military activities between UN member states, state media KCNA said, amid international criticism of its recent missile tests.
The council met behind closed doors on Friday at the request of the United States and other countries regarding the northern missile launches.
The meeting took place a day after Pyongyang fired a newly developed anti-aircraft missile, the latest in a recent series of weapons tests that included the launch of an unprecedented hypersonic missile, ballistic missiles and a missile from cruise with potential nuclear capabilities.
Jo Chol Su, director of the Department of International Organizations at the North Korean Foreign Ministry, said the Security Council meeting signified “open ignorance and wanton encroachment” on his sovereignty and a “grave and intolerable provocation.”
Jo accused the Council of double standards because it remains silent on joint US military exercises and weapons testing with allies, while challenging the North’s “self-defense” activities.
“This is a denial of impartiality, objectivity and balance, lifelines for UN activities, and a clear manifestation of the double-play standard,” Jo said in a statement. broadcast by the official KCNA news agency.
Jo warned that the council could face consequences if it continues to violate northern sovereignty “with the double-play stick” and rely on “the American-style robber way of thinking and judgment” .
Pyongyang has said in recent weeks that its weapons tests are aimed at boosting its defense capabilities as other countries are doing, accusing Washington and Seoul of “double standards” and “hostile policies” towards it.
The tests underscored how the reclusive state has consistently developed increasingly sophisticated weapons, raising the stakes in stalled talks to dismantle its nuclear and missile programs in return for US sanctions relief.
The United States criticized the launches as “destabilizing” and posing regional threats, but said it had no hostile intentions towards North Korea, urging it to accept offers to resume negotiations.
White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Friday that Washington remained ready to discuss a “full range of issues.”
“We have made specific proposals for talks with the North Koreans, but have not received a response so far,” she told reporters.
Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Editing by William Mallard and Michael Perry
Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.