New Brunswick Reports Five More COVID-19 Deaths; 7,000 unvaccinated public sector employees – .

0
27
New Brunswick Reports Five More COVID-19 Deaths; 7,000 unvaccinated public sector employees – .


FREDERICTON – The New Brunswick Minister of Health says she is concerned about the 7,000 government workers who go unvaccinated as the province’s deadline for full immunizations approaches.

Dorothy Shephard said in a briefing Friday that unvaccinated employees made up about 12% of the nearly 60,000 people who work in the public service.

Although the province has seen an additional six percent of government workers get vaccinated since the mandatory vaccination order was announced earlier this month, Shephard said New Brunswick “can’t afford” to have unvaccinated people working in the public service.

“The potential risk to colleagues, patients, students and members of the public is too high,” she told reporters. “After today, those who have not received at least one dose of the vaccine will not have enough time to receive their second dose before the deadline of November 19, as 28 days must pass between doses. ”

Some of the 7,000 unvaccinated employees work in the health care system, which could pose a difficult situation for already overburdened hospitals in the province, said Dr. John Dornan, interim president and CEO of Horizon Health Network, l one of the two health authorities in the province.

Dornan said Horizon Network hospitals have had to delay – and in some cases cancel – 113 “elective” surgeries so far.

“Sometimes we have to make tough decisions about all aspects of our hospital care and it’s a very sensitive process,” he said. “The people who work in our operating rooms are needed in other areas, quite simply. We need it in inpatient units, intensive care units and in emergency departments. “

Ahead of the mandatory vaccination deadline, Dornan added that Horizon is examining approximately 1,200 employees who are not fully vaccinated or have yet to officially disclose their vaccination status.

Asked about contingency plans, Dornan said the health system was trying to alleviate the problem by reaching out to hesitant employees to allay their concerns. In the event that some employees decide to leave, he added that he hopes others will take over to take their place.

“We believe that ultimately the people who work in our system, who are caring people, will recognize the value of immunization,” he said.

Authorities also confirmed five more deaths from COVID-19 on Friday, as well as 40 new infections in the province.

Four people have died in the Moncton area, including two in their sixties, one in their sixties and another in their 80s, according to the government.

The remaining death concerns a person in their 60s in the Campbellton area and brings the total number of virus-related deaths in the province to 106.

There are a total of 731 active cases and 50 people are hospitalized, including 15 listed in intensive care.

The province also says the circuit breaker that has been in effect in parts of the province since Oct. 8 has been extended by at least seven more days until the situation is more stable.

Additionally, the Campbellton area must enter a 14-day breaker as early as Friday night to deal with the high number of COVID-19 transmissions there.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on October 22, 2021.

This story was produced with the financial assistance of Facebook and the Canadian Press News Fellowship.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here