The former player at the heart of the Chicago Blackhawks assault scandal has come forward publicly. Kyle Beach told TSN he felt “lonely and gloomy” in the days following the alleged assault in 2010. (Watch the interview below.)
Earlier this week, a report detailed how senior team managers mishandled Beach’s allegations that an assistant coach sexually assaulted him. Beach said he felt “relief and justification” at the findings.
The ramifications now extend beyond Chicago. Florida coach Joel Quenneville is scheduled to meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Thursday. Winnipeg CEO Kevin Cheveldayoff also plans to meet with the commissioner next week. The two were with the Blackhawks when the allegations were first brought to the attention of team management.
An investigation, the results of which were released on Tuesday, found that Beach’s allegations against then-aide Brad Aldrich were largely ignored by the team for three weeks after a meeting on May 23, 2010 to en to discuss.
Quenneville read a statement prepared after the team’s early morning practice on Wednesday, saying he could not discuss the details because the investigation is ongoing.
Beach was 20 years old at the time of the attack. He was a so-called “Black Ace” – a minor league called up to the NHL’s parent team for the playoffs that is often used for practice when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010. He participated in the parade. of victory.
He played four more seasons with the organization, never appearing in an NHL regular season game. He currently plays professionally in Germany, the Chicago Tribune noted.
“I did what I had to do to survive, to keep chasing my dream,” Beach said. “It was just not thinking about it, not talking about it, ignoring it, and that’s all I could do because I was threatened and my career was on the line.”
“If I had that in mind, there was no way I could play back then. “
Need help? Visit RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline or the National Sexual Violence Resource Center website.