A judge on Friday denied a last-ditch effort to dismiss a criminal case against actor Jussie Smollett, accused of lying to police when he reported he was the victim of a racist and anti-gay attack in downtown Chicago in January 2019.
An attorney for the former “Empire” actor said Smollett’s rights were being violated as he had previously performed community service and waived a $ 10,000 bond under a previous deal with prosecutors in the United States. Cook County to drop the charges.
“A deal is a deal. It is an old principle, ”said lawyer Nenye Uche.
But Judge James Linn noted that Smollett’s case was now headed by a special prosecutor appointed by another judge, an arrangement he wouldn’t bother.
JUSSIE SMOLLETT’S LAWYERS BANNED FROM CALLING CHICAGO ATTORNEY KIM FOXX AS WITNESS
Linn said jury selection in Smollett’s trial will begin on November 29.
THE OSUNDAIRO BROTHERS ‘LAWYER FILES A REQUEST TO INTERVENE IN THE JUSSIE SMOLLETT CASE
Smollett, a black gay man, told police in 2019 that two masked men attacked him while he was working in Chicago on “Empire.” But he was accused weeks later of filing a false police report, after investigators concluded he organized the attack and paid two brothers to carry it out because he was not satisfied with his salary and wanted to promote his career. This case, however, was dropped.
The case was revived when a special prosecutor accused Smollett of disorderly conduct on police reports. The actor has pleaded not guilty.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Although Uche tried to get the case closed, he said Smollett wanted “nothing more than to go to a jury and clear his name”.