The Iranian navy commander, calling the incident “maritime terrorism,” said on Saturday that the two tankers had been attacked by pirates commanding five ships.
Admiral Shahram Irani added that a group of army ships escorting the tankers, including the destroyer Alborz, repelled the attack.
“The attacking boats were forced to leave the scene and their offensive was repulsed thanks to the timely response of the commandos” aboard the ships which fired at them, Irani said.
According to Irani, the two anonymous tankers crossed safely through the area, which is now secure.
The Iranian navy has expanded the scope of its escort operations in recent years with the aim of protecting its ships from attacks by Somali pirates.
In June of this year, two Iranian army ships, the Makran and the Sahand, began what became a voyage that lasted more than four months.
They sailed in the Atlantic Ocean for the first time, which led Washington to believe they might be heading for Venezuela.
They eventually reached St. Petersburg in Russia to participate in a joint naval exercise.
The two nationally-built ships returned to the Strait of Hormuz and completed their voyage in Iranian waters at Bandar Abbas last month.