France-UK passport and travel routes for UK residents after Brexit – .

France-UK passport and travel routes for UK residents after Brexit – .

I have a residence permit – when I arrive at border posts in the UK or the EU, which queue should I join, the one for EU citizens or the one for non-EU citizens?
After Brexit, the rules for entry and exit of UK passport holders into the EU have changed as passport checks and stamping now apply to UK visitors to the EU.

Border guards, for example, have the right to ask UK visitors for proof of medical coverage and sufficient funds for their trip (in reality readers have so far not claimed to have been solicited, although some do claim to have been asked about the purpose of the trip).

Holders of a residence permit with withdrawal agreement (WA) should not be asked for additional documents or have their passport stamped when crossing the external borders of the Schengen area, as when entering France from the United Kingdom. However, they must proactively present proof of their residency to a border guard ie. showing their card if they have one (or other proof, such as an email request receipt, if not).

After Brexit, there are also specific rules on the validity of passports.

British visitors to France or other countries in the Schengen area must ensure that their passport has been issued no more than 10 years before the day after leaving the Schengen area, and that it is valid in at least three months after the planned departure date (a tool is available here).

These rules do not apply to holders of a WA residence card, who only need to ensure that their passport is within its validity period.

For checks and / or stamping to take place, UK passport holders are no longer allowed to use automatic electronic gates when crossing the external borders of the EU, and if there are EU / EEA / Switzerland and “all passports”, then they should use the latter.

Faster arrangements may be possible next year when an ‘EU entry / exit (EES) is planned – a new automated system for verifying non-EU passports and recording visitor details which will replace manual stamping at external Schengen borders – however, details of how this will work or when it will start have not yet been clarified.

When it comes to entry into the UK, UK passport holders, whether or not they reside in the UK, can still use the fast electronic gates as long as they have a biometric passport (with a chip ) or other UK / EEA manual control channels.

The UK also continues to allow this to EEA citizens, but if they enter through a manual check lane, their passports will be stamped if they are visitors.

EEA citizens using electronic gates are advised to keep proof of their entry, such as their boarding pass, as they are no longer entitled to stay in the UK for more than six months at a time .

As of this month, EEA citizens can no longer enter the UK with a national identity card.

Related Articles

I hold a residence permit – why was the passport stamped at the border?

Etias: What is the new EU entry process and how can it affect you?

Can I travel to the EU with my WA residence card?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here