Aside from a slightly short back header in the first ten seconds and a rickety wobbly defense, Chelsea were largely in control and at ease in the first half. As Brentford hit the post in a post-turn scrum, Chelsea were the one to threaten more and more often – although it took almost until the very end of the half to find the back of the net: Ben Chilwell scoring yet again, with yet another fantastic left-footed volley.
Chelsea came out shooting in the second half and looked to sideline the game in the opening ten minutes. We created several decent opportunities, but we couldn’t find the final ball.
Still, the game was largely comfortable until the last 15-20 minutes, when Brentford suddenly increased the pressure and made things very uncomfortable. Mendy has been called up on several occasions and Brentford’s Mbeumo also hit the post for the second time in the game. Chalobah cleared the line, then Mendy literally put his face on the line, but somehow we survived the siege.
Brentford (1,88) 0-1 (0,28) Chelsea
– La philosophie xG (@xGPhilosophie) October 16, 2021
- Tuchel returns to 3-5-2, with some changes from our game against Southampton a few weeks ago, some imposed, some volunteers
- Back to three of Sarr (!), Christensen and Chalobah, the latter taking a second consecutive start. Chilwell, Azpi as wingers.
- Midfielder three of Kova, Kanté and RLC the deepest. Lukaku & Werner at the top
- Go up for Kova halfway through the second half, tied, then Havertz for Lukaku in the last 15. James for Azpi in the final minutes.
- Set piece defending a huge problem in this one, from both corners and long throws.
- Brentford had 2 shots in the first 70 minutes. 12 shots in the last 20.
- Brentford was cleared to commit 13 faults without yellow for one (Canós got a yellow for complaining before). Chelsea had 8, including 1 yellow for Kovačić. Yet Chelsea won a match refereed by Anthony Taylor for the first time in six (!) Tries.
- Top of the league! (Liverpool and Manchester City won, Manchester United lost.)
- Next stop: Malmö in the Champions League