One study predicted that humans would die before sunset.
When does our sun die?
According to a study in the journal Natural astronomy, the sun will die in about 10 billion years.
Stars, like the sun, begin to “die” when they burn off all of their hydrogen fuel.
At this point, they grow and become a very large type of star called the red giant.
It is believed that this phase will occur in our Sun in about five billion years.
The sun is expected to be very wide, engulfing Mars and Earth as it transforms into a red giant.
It is believed that humans would have died before they could leave Earth and survive elsewhere.
A 2018 study indicates that at this rate, humans have only a billion years left.
Indeed, the Sun is expected to receive 10% of its luminosity every billion years, which could cause major problems for life on Earth.
Such an increase would evaporate oceans and water sources.
The study suggests that when the Sun completes its red giant phase, it will transform into a white dwarf and then end up in a planetary nebula.
This means that it turns into a glowing shell which expands into hot gas.
Nebulae like this can be seen all over the galaxy.
- Get all the latest scientific news
- Stay up to date with the best space and astronomy stories
- The latest archaeological news from dinosaurs to ancient artifacts
Learn more about science
Want to learn more about the weird and wonderful world of science? From the moon to the human body, we have what you need …
- When is the next full moon?
- What is a Super Moon?
- What is SpaceX?
- Where is the edge of the place?
- How many bones are there in a human body?
- How many chromosomes do humans have?
- What caused the volcano to erupt?
- Which shark attacks humans the most?
- What are the doomsday conspiracy theories?
- All views on UFOs are if aliens are real
- Which country has the most earthquakes?
In other news, NASA’s persistence rover has created breathable oxygen.
NASA recently completed a controlled flight to another planet following the resurrection of the helicopter-drone from Mars.
NASA surprised space lovers by posting an image that looks like a rainbow on Mars.
The mystery of what looks like giant spiders on the surface of Mars could eventually be solved.
We will pay for your stories! Do you have a story for the Sun Online tech and science team? Write to us at [email protected]