Relief for Manchester United fans hoping to travel by tram to the game this weekend – .

0
12
Relief for Manchester United fans hoping to travel by tram to the game this weekend – .


Metrolink drivers who plan to strike this weekend have suspended action after workers received an improved wage offer.
This means that football fans hoping to travel to Old Trafford by tram for the Aston Villa game have been given a reprieve.

The walkout, the result of an “overwhelming” vote in favor of industrial action by Unite members, was also expected to affect the Greater Manchester race on Sunday.

READ MORE: Manchester Arena bomb investigation hears heartbreaking details of attack victims who suffered ‘insurmountable’ injuries

Sharon Graham, General Secretary of Unite, said: “By taking a stand, our members forced management to resume negotiations and come up with a significantly improved salary offer.

“It shows that when Unite is completely dedicated to promoting jobs, wages and terms, we can get a better deal for our members. “

Following “extensive negotiations” Monday between Unite and senior management at Keolis / Amey, which operates Metrolink, a “significantly improved” compensation package was agreed.

Metrolink Unite members will now vote on the offer, which Unite recommends they accept.

Dave Roberts, Unite Regional Manager, said: “Unite made it clear from the start that the previous pay offer was not fit for purpose, but if Keolis / Amey management tabled an acceptable offer, strikes could be avoided.




“The suspension of the strike will allow our members to fully consider the improved wage offer. ”
Members had previously been offered a 1% pay rise, spread over a 15-month period – which in real terms was a pay cut, Unite argued.

Guillaume Chanussot, managing director of operator KeolisAmey Metrolink (KAM), said: “I am delighted that we were able to reach an agreement with Unite on an improved offer for our driver workforce which allows them to suspend their planned industrial action. September 25 and 26.

“Unite will now recommend this offer to its members and we are awaiting the outcome of their consultation exercise. “

TfGM Metrolink Director Danny Vaughan said: “Following constructive discussions between Unite and operator Metrolink, the industrial action proposed this weekend has been rescinded, which is great news for all of our staff. clients.

“A revised salary offer will now be submitted to members and a new update will be issued once this is done.

“We will now be able to focus on providing normal service to support the various major events taking place this weekend and all those who rely on Metrolink to travel. If you are traveling with us, please plan ahead and allow extra time as we expect it to be much busier than usual. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here