Prince Andrew to challenge US court jurisdiction in sexual assault trial

0
28
Prince Andrew to challenge US court jurisdiction in sexual assault trial


Prince Andrew plans to challenge the jurisdiction of a US court over a civil lawsuit brought by a woman who accused him of sexual assault, court records show.

In the case filed with the United States District Court in Manhattan, an attorney for the Le Duke de York said the prince also planned to challenge the fact that he was properly served on the trial by prosecutor Virginia Giuffre.

Image:
Prince Andrew has always denied the allegations

Prince Andrew has always categorically denied any contact or sexual relationship with Ms Giuffre.

A US court will hold a pre-trial conference later in the civil trial.

The hearing, which will take place in New York, will examine whether Ms Giuffre’s legal team did enough to deliver documents regarding the civil lawsuit to the Duke.

Ms Giuffre’s attorneys said the the documents were handed over to a metropolitan police officer on duty at the main gates of Andrew’s house in Windsor Great Park on August 27.

But Blackfords, a law firm that represents the prince “in certain British matters”, questioned whether the papers had been properly served.

Judge Lewis Kaplan of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York will decide whether efforts to present the papers to the prince have been sufficient or whether more is needed.

Mrs. Giuffre claims she was trafficked by Andrew’s former friend and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein for having sex with the Duke, when she was 17 and a minor under US law.

She has repeatedly made her allegations against Epstein, the ex-girlfriend of American Ghislaine Maxwell and the prince, but the lawsuit is the first time she directly confronted Andrew in such a formal setting.

Ms Giuffre said earlier in a statement that the lawsuit was filed under the Child Victims Act alleging that she was trafficked and sexually assaulted by him.

“I hold Prince Andrew responsible for what he did to me,” she said.

In a 2019 BBC Newsnight interview, Prince Andrew said he had never had sex with Ms. Giuffre, saying, “I can absolutely tell you that never happened. “

The Duke said he had “no recollection” of ever meeting her and that there were “a number of things wrong” about her account.

He also suggested that a photo showing him with his arm around Ms Giuffre could have been tampered with.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here