Prince Andrew faces sexual assault trial in United States

0
38
Prince Andrew faces sexual assault trial in United States


Britain’s Prince Andrew has been tried for sexual assault in the United States by lawyers for a woman who claims she was forced to have sex with him at a friend’s London home Close to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, court documents show. .
In a file filed with Manhattan U.S. District Court, attorneys for Virginia Giuffre said they sent the civil lawsuit to the Los Angeles-based prince’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, via email and FedEx, and both copies had been received Monday morning.

Under federal rules, the Duke of York has 21 days to respond or could face a default judgment. Lawyers for Giuffre have previously said they also served Andrew, who is the second son of Queen Elizabeth, in the UK.

Andrew and his lawyers have denied Giuffre’s claims. The 61-year-old prince has not been charged with any crimes. Giuffre’s lawsuit, filed August 9, seeks unspecified damages.

Brettler did not respond to a request for comment from the Reuters news agency. The prince’s London legal team made no comment. The prince denied Guiffre’s allegations

Virginia Giuffre says she was trafficked by sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and sued Prince Andrew saying he sexually assaulted her when she was 17 [File: Bebeto Matthews/AP Photo]

Giuffre, 38, accused Andrew of forcing her to have sex when she was underage at the London home of Epstein’s longtime partner Ghislaine Maxwell.

Giuffre said Andrew abused her around the same time at Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Epstein, a financier and registered sex offender, committed suicide in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking.

Giuffre sued under New York’s Child Victims Act, a 2019 law that gives survivors of childhood sexual abuse a window to prosecute their alleged abusers for behavior that has occurred for years or decades. earlier. The time limit for bringing an action has since passed.

US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is overseeing Giuffre’s trial, urged both sides not to dwell on the “technicalities” and instead focus on the substance of the case.

“I can see a lot of legal fees being spent and time being spent and delayed, which in the end may not be very productive for anyone,” Kaplan said at a hearing on September 13.

Last week, the High Court in London said it would arrange for Andrew to be served if the parties failed to come to their own arrangement and gave the prince’s lawyers a week to appeal the ruling.

A source close to the Duke’s lawyers said it was highly unlikely that a challenge will be pursued now.

Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges to which she helped recruit and prepare underage girls for Epstein to abuse him. His trial is scheduled to begin on November 29.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here