Prince Andrew faces prosecution for sexual assault against accuser in the United States – .

0
12
Prince Andrew faces prosecution for sexual assault against accuser in the United States – .


NEW YORK – Prince Andrew has been prosecuted in the United States for sexual assault by a woman who said his conduct occurred when her friend Jeffrey Epstein was sexually assaulting him, court documents show.

In a file filed with Manhattan U.S. District Court, attorneys for Virginia Giuffre said they sent the civil lawsuit to the Los Angeles-based prince’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, via email and FedEx, and both copies had been received Monday morning.

Under federal rules, the Duke of York has 21 days to respond or could face a default judgment. Lawyers for Giuffre previously said they also served Andrew, who is the second son of Queen Elizabeth, in Britain.

Andrew and his lawyers have strongly denied Giuffre’s claims. The 61-year-old prince has not been charged with any crimes. Giuffre’s August 9 lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

Brettler did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Giuffre, 38, accused Andrew of forcing her to have sex when she was underage at the London home of Epstein’s longtime partner Ghislaine Maxwell.

She also said Andrew abused her around the same time at Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Epstein, a financier and registered sex offender, committed suicide in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking.

Giuffre sued under New York’s Child Victims Act, a 2019 law that gives survivors of childhood sexual abuse a window to prosecute their alleged abusers for conduct that has occurred for years or decades. earlier. The time limit for bringing an action has since passed.

US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is overseeing Giuffre’s trial, urged both sides not to dwell on the “technicalities” and instead focus on the substance of the case.

“I can see a lot of legal fees being spent and time being spent and delayed, which in the end may not be very productive for anyone,” Kaplan said at a hearing on September 13.

Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges to which she helped recruit and prepare underage girls for Epstein to abuse him. His trial is on November 29.

Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York Editing by Sonya Hepinstall.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here