div id= » »>
The U.S. Pentagon withdrew from its defense of a drone strike that killed several civilians in Afghanistan last month, announcing on Friday that an internal review found only civilians were killed in the attack, not an extremist of the Islamic State as it was initially believed.
“The strike was a tragic mistake,” Marine General Frank McKenzie, head of the US Central Command, told a Pentagon press conference.For days after the August 29 strike, Pentagon officials claimed it was carried out correctly, despite the deaths of many civilians, including children.
News organizations then cast doubts on this version of events, noting that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a long-time employee of a US aid organization and citing the lack of evidence to support the Pentagon’s claim that the vehicle contained explosives.
McKenzie said the vehicle was struck “in the sincere belief” that the targeted vehicle posed an imminent threat.
WATCH | US says airstrike killed 2 ISIS operatives:
div class= »player-placeholder-ui-container « >
div class= »player-placeholder-video-ui » title= »U.S. says airstrike killed 2 ISIS members, warns more attacks possible » role= »button » tabindex= »0″>
div class= »player-placeholder-ui « >
div class= »video-item video-card-overlay » aria-labelledby= »1939619395942-metadata- » title= »U.S. says airstrike killed 2 ISIS members, warns more attacks possible »>
div class= »thumbnail-wrapper »>