São Paulo (AFP)
Brazilian football legend Pelé was released from a month-long hospital stay on Thursday after undergoing surgery for a colon tumor, but will continue to undergo chemotherapy, his medical team said.
Pele, 80, had been treated at Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo since August 31, after a suspected tumor was detected during routine tests.
Pelé, operated on September 4, is in “stable” condition, according to doctors.
The hospital gave no further details about Pele’s chemotherapy, which is typically used in cancer patients.
“I’m so happy to be back home,” Pelé said in a statement on Facebook.
“I would like to thank the entire team at Albert Einstein Hospital, who made my stay pleasant, with a human and very affectionate welcome. Thank you also to all of you, who from afar fill my life with so many messages of love. “
Considered by many to be the greatest footballer of all time, Edson Arantes do Nascimento – Pelé’s real name – has been in poor health in recent years and has made several hospital stays.
The only player in history to win three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970), he burst onto the world stage at just 17 years old with dazzling goals, including two in the final against host country Sweden, while Brazil won the World Cup for the first time. in 1958.
“O Rei” (The King) enjoyed one of the most successful sporting careers, scoring over 1,000 goals before retiring in 1977.
© 2021 AFP