Vuong, a candidate for Spadina — Fort York, had been urged by the Liberals to “suspend” his campaign after reports of a past sexual assault charge, which had been dropped, surfaced in the media. News of the 2019 sexual assault charge being dropped was first reported by The Toronto Star. “Upon closer examination, Vuong will no longer be a Liberal candidate, and if elected, he will not be a member of the Liberal caucus,” a statement released by the Liberals on Saturday said.
The Star Report has sparked scrutiny by the Canadian Armed Forces. Based on information currently available, Vuong, a military reservist, did not inform the military of the charges against him in 2019, Defense Ministry spokesman Daniel told CBC News. Le Bouthillier.
Members of the military are required to share criminal charges with their chain of command.
In a statement released yesterday to CBC News through his campaign manager, Vuong said he wanted to “state unequivocally that these allegations are false” and that he “vigorously fought against them” when they were made. been presented for the first time. He wondered why the allegations resurfaced in the run-up to an election.