Blue Jays 11 Orioles 2
It is always better to wait until the last inning before scoring. For those of you who matter, we got 11 points in every game today. 15 of our 22 points were scored in the seventh inning.
We couldn’t hit southpaw Keegan Akin. Almost literally. We didn’t get our first hit until the end of the seventh when Vlad started the inning with a single. Fortunately, Bo Bichette followed with a home run. It opened the floodgates.
- Teoscar Hernandez single. This ended Akin’s day. Tanner Scott arrives.
- The circuits of Alejandro Kirk. Kirk must be one of the toughest men on the planet. Earlier in the game, he was hit in the helmet by a backswing. You could tell it hurt, but he still found the pop-up and managed to grab it. It was a much needed game, as it looked like Hatch was going to get knocked over in the sleeve. Four points in the sleeve.
- Lourdes Gurriel single. Dyson clamp-runs.
- Randal Grichuk made a simple.
- Breyvic Valera brand Dyson with a fly bag. Five inches.
- George Springer Singles.
- The circuits of Marcus Semien. Eight races.
- Vlad single (for the second time this inning his two hits were 107.3 and 109.8 MPH). Scott exited, Manny Barreda entered.
- Bo single (his second hit of the inning).
- Homers de Teoscar (his second hit of the round). Eleven does. That was crushed, 445 feet.
- Kirk walks.
- Grichuk is walking.
- Finally, Breyvic soars to a reasonably deep central field.
We entered the seventh without striking a blow. However, we finished the round with 11 hits and 11 runs.
We got a great job from Thomas Hatch. 4 innings, 3 hits and 2 walks allowed, 3 strikeouts. The only bad moment was a Cedric Mullins home run. He had to get himself out of trouble a few times, but he did a great job.
And then after 4 innings he came out with a hamstring problem. Hope it doesn’t matter.
Joakim Soria and Trevor Richards each pitched a scoreless inning.
Anthony Castro threw the bottom of the seventh. He gave up on a starting brace, Dyson has come a long way to get the ball out of his glove. A groundout and a strikeout followed. Then he got Bo an easy goal, but Bo bounced back and passed Vlad. Mistake # 24 for Bo. But the next Grounder, he gave Vlad a perfect shot.
Jay of the day: Bo (.507 WPA). Honorable mentions to Hatch and Kirk (mostly for being so tough).
Sugar: Seeds (-137).
Once again, a thing of beauty:
Tomorrow we have a departure at 1:00 p.m.
We had 582 comments in the GameThread. A GameThread much less negative than the first. I appreciate that, thank you. DangYouToHeck led us to our second win of the day.
Maybe take a moment to think about all the people lost 20 years ago.