Israeli jets strike Gaza after second rocket attack in 24 hours – .

0
9
Israeli jets strike Gaza after second rocket attack in 24 hours – .


On the night of Saturday to Sunday, the Israel Defense Forces carried out another round of retaliatory airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, following two rocket attacks on southern Israel in less than 24 hours.

The military said the raids targeted an underground Hamas rocket production workshop, a weapons storage site, a training center and a tunnel. The IDF said it held Hamas responsible for all rockets emanating from the enclave.

Earlier on Saturday evening, Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip fired a rocket at southern Israel, raising the specter of a resumption of conflict. The rocket was intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system. The attack set off sirens in the town of Sderot and surrounding communities in southern Israel.

A 29-year-old man sustained minor head injuries after falling while running towards an air raid shelter. He was taken to Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon for treatment, doctors said.

Shortly after 11 p.m. Friday, Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip fired a single rocket at Israel that was intercepted by the Iron Dome system, the military said. The rocket set off warning sirens in the Eshkol area and local residents reported hearing several explosions. There were no reports of injuries or damage.

In response to rocket fire on Friday evening, the IDF carried out strikes on terrorist targets in the Gaza Strip in the early hours of Saturday morning, the military said.

Iron Dome in action on May 13, 2021 (Avichai Socher / IDF)

The IDF said it hit a Hamas position used for machine gun fire, as well as a storage site near a school and mosques. No further details were provided on what the IDF believed to be stored at the facility.

The IDF also said it hit a compound used to produce the concrete used to build the terror group’s underground tunnel network, which is believed to be located near cultural sites. No injuries were immediately reported.

In the statement, the IDF reiterated that it holds Hamas responsible for all terrorist activity in the enclave.

Meanwhile in the West Bank on Saturday evening, several hundred Palestinians clashed with Israel Defense Forces troops in a number of areas. IDF troops responded with riot control means.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said it treated eight people injured by rubber bullets and 15 other cases of tear gas inhalation during clashes at the Hawara checkpoint, south of Nablus.

Saturday night’s rocket fire came shortly after Israel captured two other Islamic Jihad security prisoners who escaped from a high-security prison on Monday, after arresting two more the day before.

It also comes a day after Qatar’s envoy to Gaza said efforts to send aid from his country to the Gaza Strip, including to Hamas government employees, failed after the Authority Palestinian Authority has withdrawn from the agreement.

Qatar has pledged $ 500 million for Gaza following the May 10-21 conflict that saw heavy shelling in the Strip and intense rocket fire at Israel.

The failure of the deal was expected to further fuel tensions between Israel and Hamas, which has frequently escalated provocations in an attempt to pressure Israel to allow the money.

The rocket was likely fired by the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, just after Israel announced it had captured two Islamic Jihad fugitives who escaped from Gilboa prison on Monday with four other security prisoners.

Palestinians attend a rally in solidarity for the escape of six Palestinian prisoners from the Israeli Gilboa prison on September 8, 2021, in Khan Yunis, southern Gaza Strip. (Abed Rahim Khatib / Flash90)

Qatari envoy Mohammed al-Emadi said the deal was canceled because a mechanism agreed to earlier in the week that Palestinian Authority banks would transfer money to Hamas employees was no longer an option.

He said the banks refused to participate, fearing that they would be the target of sanctions for transferring money to a terrorist group.

The issue of officials had been a sticking point in the establishment of a money transfer mechanism. On Monday, al-Emadi said the issue had been resolved “following an agreement between the various parties”.

The report came as Channel 12 quotes sources close to Prime Minister Naftali Bennett as saying that Israel considers a new round of violence with Hamas inevitable – perhaps in a matter of weeks – and is completing military plans. .

The report said Israel wanted to deal with Hamas on its own terms and at a time of its choosing, and not be drawn into a conflict that would be convenient for the terrorist group.

Qatar’s support is seen as a crucial lifeline for impoverished Palestinians living in Gaza, which has been under Israeli blockade since 2007, when the Hamas terror group seized power.

Israel, which still allows many goods in the Strip, sees the blockade as a necessary measure to prevent terrorist groups from arming freely and posing a much greater threat.

Prior to the last conflict in Gaza between Israel and Hamas-led fighters in May, the flow of funds from Qatar was seen as vital to maintaining relative calm between the Jewish state and the Islamists.

But Israel said it was opposed to resuming funding under conditions that existed before the May hostilities, saying the money was being used by armed groups rather than strictly for humanitarian needs.

Emanuel Fabian, The Times of Israel staff and agencies contributed to this report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here