WHAT WE LEARNED ABOUT THE OFFENSE
* A few hours before kick-off, guard Shane Lemieux was placed on the injured list. Matt Skura, who started 52 of the 57 regular-season and postseason games he’s played, has been taken off the practice squad to replace him. In addition, the Giants have elevated wide receiver / kick-returner CJ Board and tight end Chris Myarick of the practice squad to their playlists.
* With Lemieux out, the Giants overhauled their inside offensive line. Center Nick Gates, one of seven team captains for 2021, has moved to left guard. Billy Price moved up center and made his first start for the Giants after being acquired in a trade with the Bengals less than three weeks ago. That left them with the following starting lineup: LT Andrew Thomas, LG Nick Gates, C Billy Price, RG Will Hernandez, RT Nate Solder.
* The Giants couldn’t have done better on their first drive. Daniel Jones ran the team for 79 yards in 11 games, topped off with a six-yard touchdown from the quarterback. On the next drive, however, a grisly injury interrupted the game. Gates sustained a broken lower leg that required a blast of air. The whole team surrounded Gates, who was seen smiling, before he was carried off the field. Ben Bredeson replaced him.
* Saquon Barkley, who set a franchise record with 279 yards of scrimmage on his last trip to FedExField in 2019, beat a 41-yard run in the first half. Earlier in the week, Barkley said “explosiveness” was not an issue after his highly anticipated injury return in Week 1, when he ran 10 carries for 26 yards. Thursday was his second game in five days after not playing for almost a year.
* Jones was dangerous with his legs, rushing nine times for 95 yards with a 46-yard long. Jones had 65 rushing attempts for 423 yards (6.5 yards) last season, a franchise record for a Giants quarterback in the Super Bowl era. Professional Football Hall of Fame member Fran Tarkenton previously held the record with 306 yards in 1967. Jones completed 22 of 32 passes for 249 yards and a touchdown to Darius Slayton.
* TE Evan Engram missed his second game in a row with a calf injury.