2 people rushed to hospital after Newport News shooting – .

0
9
2 people rushed to hospital after Newport News shooting – .


“I don’t think this was an individual searching the community to injure members,” Police Chief Steve Drew said, adding investigators believed the victims were known to the suspect.

Drew said there had been “some sort of altercation” before the incident at Heritage High School, but he was not clear on the details. He could not tell if the shooter was a student.

Drew said evidence was recovered from the school and its grounds. “There are images and evidence out there that we are looking at,” he said.

Police are working with the FBI and “I have no doubts that we will be able to determine who this individual is,” Drew said.

Two people were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds which are not considered life threatening. At least two others were taken to hospital, one with asthma and the other with an arm injury from running out of school, Drew said. Their conditions were not known.

Students were evacuated and sent to the campus tennis court, according to a tweet of the police.

Police are now searching “every square inch of the school,” Drew said.

School superintendent George Parker III said he plans the school will embrace virtual learning for the next few days and work to ensure students can return safely.

“That won’t happen until we discuss this issue and look at better ways to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen again,” he said.

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam said in a tweet Monday afternoon that he was “in close contact with first responders.”

He advised people to avoid the area and follow instructions from law enforcement.

US Senator Mark Warner tweeted that he is “watching the horrific reports closely” and “praying for the health and safety of everyone involved while they wait to find out more.”

CNN’s Ralph Ellis contributed to this report.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here