2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Finale
August 1, 2021
Stade Allegiant ; Las Vegas, Nevada
Live stream: Coverage begins at 8 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision and TUDN
Kick-off: 9 p.m. ET
Social networks: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; @ussoccer on Facebook, the American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI against Mexico: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Reggie Cannon, 7-Paul Arriola (capt.), 9-Gyasi Zardes, 12-Miles Robinson, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 16-James Sands, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 19-Eryk Williamson, 21 -George Bello, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Suppléants : 18-Sean Johnson, 22-Brad Guzan, 3-Sam Vines, 4-Donovan Pines, 6-Gianluca Busio, 8-Nicholas Gioacchini, 10-Cristian Roldan, 11-Daryl Dike, 14-Jackson Yueill, 15-Jonathan Lewis, 20-Shaq Moore, 24-Henry Kessler
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MEXICO | USMNT SCORERS VS. MEXICO
USMNT Starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Gyasi Zardes (62), Paul Arriola (39), Kellyn Acosta (37), Sebastian Lletget (29), Reggie Cannon (21), Miles Robinson (9) , Matt Turner (7), James Sands (6), Matthew Hoppe (5), George Bello (4), Eryk Williamson (4)
USMNT XI Gold Cup cap numbers (including this game): Gyasi Zardes (22), Paul Arriola (14), Kellyn Acosta (10), Reggie Cannon (8), Sebastian Lletget (5), Miles Robinson (6) , Matt Turner (6), James Sands (6), Matthew Hoppe (5), Eryk Williamson (3), George Bello (2)
Gregg Berhalter makes four changes to the USMNT squad since Thursday’s semi-final against Qatar, including defenders George Bello and Reggie Cannon, midfielder Eryk Williamson and striker Gyasi Zardes.
Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 24 years and 236 days. This is the second youngest USMNT team in the final, behind the team that started the Concacaf Nations League victory over Mexico on June 6 (24 years, 206 days).
Six USMNT starting XI players are 24 and under: George Bello (19), Matthew Hoppe (20), James Sands (21), Reggie Cannon (23), Miles Robinson and Eryk Williamson ( 24 years).
- The starting lineup has an average of 19 selections
- Appearing in his third consecutive Gold Cup final, Paul Arriola will captain the USMNT for the second time tonight. The veteran forward wore the armband for the first time in the 1-0 quarter-final victory over Jamaica on July 25.
- Midfielder Kellyn Acosta is the only starter tonight to also start the Concacaf Nations League final last month against Mexico on June 6 in Denver. Reggie Cannon and Sebastian Lletget both came off the bench in the game.
- After returning to the USMNT in last December’s friendly victory over El Salvador, Acosta will play his 14th consecutive game for the United States tonight. He is the only player to appear in all 13 United States games in 2021.
- Similarly, Lletget has appeared in every game except one in 2021, remaining on the bench in the 6-1 win over Martinique on July 15.
- Cannon also wins his first start of the tournament. The defender has made substitute appearances in each of the last three matches.
- Defender George Bello wins his second Gold Cup appearance after spending the full 90 minutes against Martinique.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner and defenseman Miles Robinson start for the sixth consecutive game. The duo played every minute of the 2021 Gold Cup, leading the US defense to conceding just one goal in 540 minutes of play.
- Paul Arriola and Reggie Cannon also started the 2019 final against Mexico, while Gyasi Zardes was a substitute in that game. Substitute midfielder Cristian Roldan also came off the bench in the 2019 final.
- As Arriola enters his third consecutive Gold Cup final, Zardes will also play in his third consecutive Confederation Championship game.
- Zardes becomes the only fifth on the list of selections for the USMNT Gold Cup, behind Landon Donovan (34), Michael Bradley (26), Clint Dempsey (24) and Kasey Keller (23).
- Nine of the 11 starters are from Major League Soccer, with Cannon (Boavista; Portugal) and Matthew Hoppe (Schalke; Germany) the two overseas-based players
- Substitute Henry Kessler would win his USMNT debut if he showed up tonight. The defender joined the roster as a medical replacement for Walker Zimmerman ahead of the quarter-final
- Teams are entitled to five substitutions in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage. If the game goes into extra time, the teams are entitled to one additional substitution.
- USMNT are 20-36-15 in their previous 71 games against Mexico. USA are 2-5-0 against Sorting in the Concacaf Gold Cup match and 1-5-0 in the Gold Cup final.
- Tonight’s game marks the USMNT’s first game at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas and the senior national team’s first game in the state of Nevada.
USMNT play in Gold Cup 12 recorde final. If the United States wins, it will take home its seventh Confederation Trophy.
The United States are currently on an eight-game winning streak, the second longest in team history. The record is 12 victories, achieved from June 2 to August 14, 2013.
USMNT are 25-6-3 in 34 appearances under Gregg Berhalter. If the United States won tonight, he would tie Steve Sampson (26-22-14; 52 games) for fifth overall wins among USMNT head coaches.
- Berhalter is 10-1-0 in Gold Cup matches. He already ranks third all-time among USMNT Gold Cup managers, behind Bruce Arena (19 wins) and Bob Bradley (14).