The fast food empire teased fans on Friday by announcing that “the thing you asked for” is coming on August 31.
The tweet hinted that the cult classic McPizza was making a triumphant return to the menu, so much so, in fact, that “McPizza” began to become a national trend.
However, McDonald’s has now confirmed that not everything it has in store for Tuesday is pizza related.
“This is not mcpizza. think more spice, less slice, ” McDonald’s Canada tweeted Saturday.
it is not mcpizza. think more spice, less slice. go Ted Lasso marathon and relax now. see you Monday.
— McDonald’s🇨🇦 (@McDonaldsCanada) August 28, 2021
Twitter users were disappointed with the news.
– M (@MattMoore7) August 29, 2021
– Ben Gordon ( #FireMontoyo ) (@BenGordon92) August 29, 2021
Not McPizza … pic.twitter.com/hkOOQXWFzR
– Fan of the Phillies in Montreal (@Montreal_Hohhot) August 29, 2021
You failed everyone McDonald’s😒
– Valérie McCauley (@Valerie_Valera) August 29, 2021
well it’s a mistake #mcpizzaforever
– Brian Shelley (@bshell78) August 29, 2021
A devastating day in Canada.
– Merzybean (@merzybean) August 29, 2021
– 🚕ArchmageTractorpull (@ArchmageT) August 29, 2021
-Halloweeja (@Halloweeja) August 29, 2021
I will never trust you again
— 3.0 🗣💨 (@RealMikeVersace) August 28, 2021
The Canadian dream of McPizza crushed, many now believe the mystery item will be spicy nuggets. Something that apparently no body asked for.
– Megan Marie (@mediocre_meg) August 29, 2021
What a disappointment. I mean, you could have just put in a spicy sauce with regular nuggets… nobody asked for it. Peeps has been asking for McPizza for years. Read the piece.
– Intoxicating Standersen (@HStandersen) August 29, 2021
So it’s a nugget smeared with generic hot sauce? I can order McNuggets and use a good hot sauce anytime. We wanted McPizza, you could have made a fortune on it, but you still failed.
– TheBayStreetBastards (@baystbastards) August 29, 2021
McDevastated fans can still take a trip to the world’s largest McDonald’s in Orlando, Florida, where the discontinued item is still served. They also have McPasta.
Whether or not you’re hoping for McPizza, you’ll have to wait until Tuesday for the spicy reveal.