temporary replacement of 80 meters affected by delays due to legal dispute over access – .

0
29
temporary replacement of 80 meters affected by delays due to legal dispute over access – .


A telecommunications company has been caught up in a legal row over the massive fire at the Bilsdale mast.
Operator Arqiva said staff “were working around the clock” to render services to viewers who were affected by the fire earlier this month.

Some services have still not resumed and the temporary 80-meter mast, which would extend TV services to the vast majority of homes, was due to go into effect on August 28.

Read more: “I almost died”: a pregnant teenager who refused a covid shot recounts a month-long fight in intensive care

However, the company confirmed that “the legal process to secure proper site access to build the temporary mast is taking longer than initially expected” and the temporary mast will not be operational by this weekend.

An update posted to Arqiva’s website Tuesday said: “Arqiva continues to do everything in its power to restore broadcast services as quickly and safely as possible following the fire that has damaged the Bilsdale Mast earlier this month.

“The majority of affected households, over 400,000, have now seen their television services restored, and FM radio and digital radio have also returned to most households.

“Our teams work 24 hours a day, alongside our partners, to restore services to people in the area as quickly as possible.

“We fully recognize that for those who remain affected, it is a frustrating time as services have not been restored as quickly as we had hoped. We apologize for that. “

He continued, “The remaining steps of our plan require access to the original mast site to deliver materials, build and commission the temporary 80 meter mast that would extend television services to the vast majority of homes. .

“The legal process to secure proper site access to build the temporary mast is taking longer than originally planned and therefore it will not be up and running by this weekend as we had hoped.

“We are making representations to the court as to the seriousness and urgency of the situation, but we are currently in the hands of the judicial system.

“We continue to talk to the landowner to see if we can come to an access agreement while the request is being processed.

“We’re doing everything we can to get things done as quickly as possible and are looking for help from everyone involved to speed up the process. “



Crews spent hours fighting the blaze

Freeview also added: “We share our viewers’ disappointment that the new temporary mast at Bilsdale has been delayed, especially at such short notice.

“However, we are confident that Arqiva is doing everything in its power to enter into a new access agreement with the landowner.

“We will continue to keep viewers up to date with the latest information and advice through our website and social channels. ”

The fire on August 10 cut off the signals of thousands of homes in the North East and parts of North Yorkshire.

Fire crews finally accessed the transmitter base six days later when work began to resume services.

About 500,000 people lost their Freeview signal as a result of the fire, while some homes are still without photos.

A 1,000-foot cordon was erected following Tuesday’s fire at the mast near Helmsley.

The Bilsdale transmitter serves approximately 570,000 homes.

Officials have since said there was “nothing to suggest” that it was triggered on purpose.

An engineer working at the transmitter first sounded the alarm before fire crews from seven stations – including Coulby Newham – rushed to the scene.

For the latest local news from your area delivered straight to your inbox every day, go here to sign up for our free newsletter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here