Osaka, Kenin and Swiatek withdraw from WTA Montreal event – .

0
17
Osaka and Medvedev named favorites for Canadian events – .


Montreal (AFP)

Four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, fourth Sofia Kenin and eighth Iga Swiatek have withdrawn from the WTA tournament in Montreal next week, Tennis Canada announced on Tuesday.

Japan’s Osaka, reigning US and Australian Open champion, and French Open 2020 winner Swiatek of Poland, competed in the Tokyo Olympics, with Osaka losing in the third round to the silver medalist Marketa Vondrousova and Swiatek falling in the second round against the Spaniard Paula Badosa.

“I’m sorry to miss Montreal this year,” said Osaka. “I hope to see you all in Canada next year.

Swiatek cited a need to rest while retiring from the US Open hard court tune-up event.

“The first part of the season has been so intense that I need a few days off to rest and prepare for the next few months,” she said.

Kenin, a 22-year-old American who won the Australian Open last year, has been sidelined with a foot injury since Wimbledon.

“As I progress, my foot injury is not where I need it to play at the top level,” Kenin said. “I feel like another week of recovery and rehabilitation is needed. “

World number three Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus becomes the first seed following departure from Osaka.

“Of course we are disappointed,” said tournament director Eugène Lapierre. “But despite their packages, we still have exceptional players in the draw. “

The roster also includes Canadian Bianca Andreescu and Romanian Simona Halep, two-time Canadian champion.

China’s Zhang Shuai, Czech Marie Bouzkova and Russian Liudmila Samsonova joined the main draw.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here