Count five of the indictment – a charge of sexual violence – was dropped Thursday. Prosecutors say Weinstein committed the alleged crime against a woman in May 2010.
“Mr. Weinstein faces very serious charges. Ten of the 11 charges stand. We are taking the appropriate steps to ensure that justice prevails in this matter, ”said Alex Bastian, special advisor to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Juda Engelmayer, spokesperson for Weinstein, told CNN in a statement that his team were “happy that the judge agreed that one of the alleged charges was prohibited by the statue. [sic] of limits. He remains rejected and he should never have been brought in in the first place. “
“We consider this to be a partial victory, but know that there is still some way to go,” said Engelmayer. “Harvey remains upbeat and hopeful, and needs to focus on his health right now. ”
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lisa Lench declined to dismiss two of the charges, but asked prosecutors to return to a grand jury to amend the third charge.
Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to the sexual assault charges against him in Los Angeles.
He was convicted last year in New York of first-degree felony sex and third-degree rape. He is serving a 23-year prison sentence in a maximum security prison outside of Buffalo, New York.
CNN’s Paul Vercammen contributed to this report.