Georges St-Pierre explains how a boxing match with Oscar De La Hoya was interrupted by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.
St-Pierre (26-2, MMA) previously revealed he was in talks with De La Hoya (39-6, boxing. In an interview on Wednesday, the former UFC welterweight champion took the plunge. deep into how the potential crusader fell apart.
“I thought it would be a fun thing to do,” St-Pierre told host Ariel Helwani on MMA time. “My career in proving that I am the strongest man in the world in the sport of mixed martial arts is over. I’m 40 years old. But to do something different, something that could be fun and very motivating for me, plus a lot of money would have been given to charity, against a sports legend like Oscar De La Hoya, I think I would have.
“Not because I think I was a better boxer than Oscar De La Hoya when he was in his prime, but now I think he probably has more mileage than me. I’m in great shape, I’m younger, I used to compete in a heavier weight class. I think it would be a fair fight that the fans wanted to watch. “
St-Pierre is however still under contract with the UFC and needs their authorization to fight elsewhere.
“I even called [former UFC owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta] to try to convince Dana, ”said St-Pierre. “Lorenzo liked the idea, but Dana didn’t want it. I knew he hated Oscar but I said, ‘Look, I’m going to make Oscar look bad because I’m great. I’ve been in great shape the whole time and I’m going to do a full boxing training camp with Freddie Roach and his world champions there, so I’ll be really well prepared.
“At first he told me the reason he didn’t want it was because he thought Oscar would basically destroy me in a boxing match. And I had a good argument – I told him I believe Oscar has more mileage than me, he’s not in his prime anymore, I kept busy all the time, I still am in great shape, I will be very well prepared and I am taking this fight very seriously. If I do, because it’s my name – my image is attached to it – I will do it 100%. And I said to Dana, I said, ‘If there’s one MMA fighter who goes into boxing and looks good in this situation, it would be me. “
“And at first, he refused,” continued St-Pierre. “Then he thought about it but he came back with the argument that, oh, no, it’s not because he thinks Oscar is going to win; he thinks it’s because he doesn’t like the fact that Triller takes me and makes money off my back while I’m still under contract with the UFC. So what Dana said – listen to this – then he came back and he asked me if I wanted to fight Khabib [Nurmagomedov]. And I said to Dana, I said, ‘This is very strange. Why didn’t you want to do the fight when you were asked to do so a few years ago? Why is it now? ‘ He said: ‘Yeah, because Khabib wasn’t retired and he wasn’t the same guy he was. Now it all makes sense. So I didn’t want to, but I was curious to see what would have happened, so I said, ‘I’ll think about it’ and waited.
“It turns out that not long after I saw people in the media saying that, oh, now Khabib, he doesn’t want to fight me because I asked for the fight with Khabib. I never asked for the fight with Khabib. It was Dana White who probably went to see Khabib and (the manager) Ali Abdelaziz and told them that Georges wanted to fight Khabib. We asked a long time ago, but I didn’t ask anymore. I no longer implored this fight. We’re both retired and I’m fine.
St-Pierre also spoke of a fantastic game against Khabib Nurmagomedov.
“Dana White had a lot of heat for not letting me beat myself up from the media, so he asked me to fight Khabib because he was expecting a negative response from me,” St-Pierre said. “So he would have had a good point, a good reason, in telling the media, ‘George refused to fight for us, so I’m not going to let him fight for someone else.’ So that’s the reason I waited to see what happened, and it turned out I was right, I think. So Khabib refused, but I didn’t mean to say yes.
“I caught Dana White’s bluff. That’s what happened, ”added St-Pierre later. “Not that it was a bluff, but the main reason he wanted to do it was because of the heat he was getting from the media. And the fact that maybe he also wanted to make some extra money, try a home run, because he knew Khabib and I were retired.
Ultimately, GSP sees the fight as a missed opportunity.
“In my last fight with Michael Bisping, I won a lot more money than I would have won for Oscar De La Hoya. But it would still be a lot of money for an eight-round, two-minute fight, ”said St-Pierre. “It’s a lot of
Have you finished reading this story? The party must not stop. Click here for more on the latest UFC news.