a new trial for Ian Bailey could be held in France – .

0
13
a new trial for Ian Bailey could be held in France – .


A new trial could be organized for Ian Bailey in France, the French president said Thursday.

culminating on a one-day visit to Dublin – his first official trip to Ireland – Emmanuel Macron said: “My thoughts are with his family and friends. It is such a tragedy and there is still so much suffering. The trial is still ongoing and as a result the family could not cry. “

He said if Bailey agreed to travel to France, a new trial could be arranged.

In October last year, the High Court of Ireland rejected an attempt by French authorities to extradite Bailey for the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

Bailey was facing a third extradition proceeding to France, in connection with the death of Ms Toscan du Plantier, whose severely beaten body was found outside her holiday home in Schull in December 1996.

The court ruled that Mr. Bailey would not be surrendered to France following a European arrest warrant (EAW) issued in 2019.

Bailey, with an address at The Prairie in Schull, was convicted of murder in absentia by a Paris court in May 2019.

The three-judge tribunal handed down a sentence of 25 years.

He had no legal representation for the case, failed to appear in court and described it at the time as a joke.

He has always denied any involvement in the death of the Frenchwoman.

“If the convict agrees to come to France, a new trial could be organized but so far he refuses”, declared Mr. Macron.

“The French Court is now reflecting on the next step and leaving a window, a period of time, for the Irish and French courts to decide on the next step. “

Taoiseach Micheal Martin called the murder of Ms Toscan du Plantier “a terrible and horrible act”.

“To the family, we send our sincere and constant condolences. But also empathy. I watched recent documentaries and one could not help but be struck by the nobility and dignity of Sophie’s family, ”said Mr. Martin.

In recent months, two new documentaries on the murder have been released.

“We want justice to be done. It’s a terrible hostel in terms of the country, in terms of what happened, ”Mr. Martin said.

“As a person who loves this part of the country myself, it is incomprehensible what happened that night. “

Download the Belfast Telegraph app

Get quick and easy access to the latest news, sports, business and opinion from Northern Ireland with the Belfast Telegraph app.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here