The video obtained by CNN shows Afghan soldiers coming out of a building into a public square with their arms in the air, while armed men shouting “rendezvous, commandos, rendezvous”. Soon gunshots rang out as cries of “Allahu Akhbar” were heard.
Nearly two dozen commandos were reportedly executed at a market in Dawlat Abad town in Faryab province on June 16, according to reports.
The Taliban denied that they carried out the execution of CNN, claiming that the videos are fake and that they still have the soldiers captured in Faryab province. They called it government propaganda so that people wouldn’t surrender.
However, the Red Cross and the Afghan Ministry of Defense confirmed the 22 deaths. The Defense Ministry denied the operatives were in custody and said they were killed.
An eyewitness told the outlet that the commandos were running out of ammunition and had received no air support or reinforcements after heavy fighting for about two hours with the Taliban.
Warning: the video may disturb some
The video appears even as the Taliban continue to make significant territorial gains in Afghanistan with at least 212 districts under their control, according to an assessment by the Foundation for the Defense of Long War Democracies. The Afghan government controls 70 districts while 116 remain contested.
Even though Joe Biden has set September 11 as the deadline for the United States to leave the country, a large majority of the troops have already left.
The viral video has raised concerns among human rights groups and intensified criticism of Joe Biden’s government. Questions are being raised by members of the opposition in the United States about the rapid withdrawal of troops from conflict-ridden Afghanistan after nearly 20 years of war.
Republicans are targeting Mr Biden for the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan amid clashes between the Taliban and Afghan security forces and fears of a re-emergence of Al Qaeda and ISIS in the country.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday described Mr. Biden’s troop withdrawal as a “reckless rush to exit” and “a global embarrassment.”
“President Biden and his team are desperate to avoid the tough questions about Afghanistan,” McConnell said. “But the American people deserve answers. He deserves to understand the risks of this trajectory and how the Commander-in-Chief plans to protect us from a terrorist enemy that his own senior advisers admit will be allowed to regroup through his actions. “
Illinois Republican Representative Adam Kinzinger, also a US Air Force veteran who flew missions in Afghanistan, called the video “horrible-again.”
“It’s horrible, yet this is the reality of the American withdrawal from Afghanistan. Withdrawing the peacekeepers and leaving the Afghan people without support is a big mistake, Mr. President, ”he said in a tweet.
Army General Austin “Scott” Miller, who has stepped down from his post as US Commander-in-Chief in Afghanistan, has previously said that “Civil war is certainly a path that can be visualized if it continues on its course. “.
Mr Biden also acknowledged last week that a continued military presence in Afghanistan would not change the country’s future, but said the Afghan people must decide their own fate.
But the departure of the United States forced Kabul to seek help from outside partners such as Russia and China to conduct counterterrorism operations in the region.