2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Group Stage Match No.3
July 18, 2021
Children’s Mercy Park; Kansas City, Kan.
Live stream: Coverage begins at 4:30 p.m. ET on Univision and TUDN; 5 p.m. ET on FOX
Kick-off: 5:15 p.m. ET
Social networks: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; @ussoccer on Facebook , The American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI against Canada: 1-Matt Turner, 3-Sam Vines, 5-Walker Zimmerman (capt.), 6-Gianluca Busio, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 11-Daryl Dike, 12-Miles Robinson, 16-James Sands, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 20 -Shaq Moore, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Alternates: 18-Sean Johnson, 22-Brad Guzan, 2-Reggie Cannon, 4-Donovan Pines, 8-Nicholas Gioacchini, 10-Cristian Roldan, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 14-Jackson Yueill, 15-Jonathan Lewis, 19-Eryk Williamson, 21-George Bello
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT CANADA | TRIVIA DE L’USMNT GOLD CUP
GROUP TOP SCENARIO: The two teams are tied with six points and a +6 goal differential, but Canada holds the lead in the second tiebreaker thanks to one more goal in the first two games of the group stage (8- 7). For this reason, the USMNT must win to ensure they finish at the top of the group. In the event of a draw or loss, Canada will win first place.
USMNT Starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Gyasi Zardes (59), Kellyn Acosta (34), Sebastian Lletget (26), Walker Zimmerman (17), Shaq Moore (8), Daryl Dike (6) , Miles Robinson (6), Sam Vines (5), Matt Turner (4), Gianluca Busio (3), James Sands (3)
USMNT Gold Cup XI cap numbers (including this match): Gyasi Zardes (19), Kellyn Acosta (7), Walker Zimmerman (6), Gianluca Busio (3), Daryl Dike (3), Shaq Moore (3), Miles Robinson (3), James Sands (3), Matt Turner (3), Sebastian Lletget (2), Sam Vines (2)
- Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 24 years, 260 days and also averages 15 caps.
- Gregg Berhalter makes four changes from the starting XI who faced Martinique on Thursday, reinserting defender Sam Vines, midfielders Kellyn Acosta and Sebastian Lletget and striker Gyasi Zardes.
- Walker Zimmerman is USMNT captain for the second game in a row.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner and defensemen Shaq Moore, Miles Robinson and Walker Zimmerman start for the third game in a row.
- Midfielder Gianluca Busio, forward Daryl Dike and defender James Sands start for a second game in a row.
- Combining to play a role in five of the seven goals scored in the team’s first two games, Daryl Dike and Gyasi Zardes will team up against Canada.
- Zardes scored two goals in the United States’ last meeting with Canada, helping the team to a 4-1 victory in the Concacaf Nations League group stage on November 15, 2019 in Orlando. Lletget joins Zardes as two players from the starting XI to appear in this match.
- Forward Paul Arriola (hamstring strain) was ruled out of the day’s squad.
- Ten of the 11 starters are from Major League Soccer, with Shaq Moore (Tenerife, Spain) being the only player based abroad.
- Teams are entitled to five substitutions during the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage.
- The United States is 15-9-11 against Canada and 3-0-1 in the Concacaf Gold Cup.
The teams have met twice in the group stage, with the United States winning 2-0 on July 9, 2005 in Seattle and on June 7, 2011 in Detroit.
- USMNT are 22-6-3 in 31 games under Gregg Berhalter.