Demi-finale of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup
July 29, 2021
Stade Q2 ; Austin, Texas
Live stream: Coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision and TUDN
Kick-off: 7:30 p.m. ET
Social networks: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; @ussoccer on Facebook , The American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting eleven against Qatar: 1-Matt Turner, 3-Sam Vines, 6-Gianluca Busio, 7-Paul Arriola, 11-Daryl Dike, 12-Miles Robinson, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 16-James Sands, 17-Sebastian Lletget (capt.), 20 -Shaq Moore, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Alternates: 18-Sean Johnson, 22-Brad Guzan, 2-Reggie Cannon, 8-Nicholas Gioacchini, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 10-Cristian Roldan, 14-Jackson Yueill, 15-Jonathan Lewis, 19-Eryk Williamson, 21-George Bello, 24-Henry Kessler
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT QATAR | TRIVIA DE L’USMNT GOLD CUP
- The winner of tonight’s match will advance to the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Final against Canada or Mexico on Sunday August 1 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- USMNT Starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Paul Arriola (38), Kellyn Acosta (36), Sebastian Lletget (28), Shaq Moore (10), Daryl Dike (8), Miles Robinson (8) , Sam Vines (7), Matt Turner (6), Gianluca Busio (5), James Sands (5), Matthew Hoppe (4)
- USMNT XI Gold Cup cap numbers (including this game): Paul Arriola (13), Kellyn Acosta (9), Gianluca Busio (5), James Sands (5), Shaq Moore (5), Daryl Dike (5) , Miles Robinson (5), Matt Turner (5), Sebastian Lletget (4), Sam Vines (4), Matthew Hoppe (4)
- USA starting XI same in back-to-back 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup first-time matches
- Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 23 years and 284 days, making USMNT’s third youngest team in a knockout match following the Nations League semi-final of the Concacaf last month against Honduras (23, 259 days) and the Gold Cup quarterfinal on Sunday against Jamaica. (23 years, 280 days) It is also the seventh youngest USMNT formation in official competition
- Seven USMNT starting XI players are 24 and under: Gianluca Busio (19), Matthew Hoppe (20), Daryl Dike and James Sands (21), Sam Vines (22), Shaq Moore and Miles Robinson (24)
- The starting lineup also has an average of 13 selections
- Sebastian Lletget is captain of the USMNT for the second time this evening. The veteran midfielder wore the armband in the United States’ 1-0 win over Haiti to open the Gold Cup on July 11.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner and defensemen Shaq Moore and Miles Robinson start for the fifth straight game. Turner and Robinson played every minute in the 2021 Gold Cup
- Veteran forward Paul Arriola will enter his third consecutive Gold Cup semi-final. Arriola started the 2-0 victory over Costa Rica on July 22, 2017 in Arlington, Texas and the 3-1 victory over Jamaica on July 3, 2019 in Nashville.
- Nine of the 11 starters are from Major League Soccer, with Shaq Moore (Tenerife; Spain) and Matthew Hoppe (Schalke; Germany) the two overseas-based players
- After returning to the USMNT in last December’s friendly victory over El Salvador, midfielder Kellyn Acosta will play his 13th straight game for the United States tonight. Acosta is the only player to appear in all 12 USA games in 2021
- In four Gold Cup matches, goalkeeper Matt Turner and the USMNT backline have conceded just one goal, a penalty in the 6-1 win over Martinique.
- Substitute Henry Kessler would win his USMNT debut if he showed up tonight. The defender joined the roster as a medical replacement for Walker Zimmerman ahead of the quarter-final
- For the second game in a row, defender Donovan Pines will not dress tonight against Qatar.
- Teams are entitled to five substitutions in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage. If the match is extended, the teams are entitled to one additional substitution.
- The United States faces Qatar for the first time in its history. the Bordeaux is the 10th in the United Statese different opponent of the Asian Football Confederation and first since playing Korea Republic on February 1, 2014
- Tonight’s game marks USMNT’s first in Austin, Texas. The team will return to Q2 Stadium when they face Jamaica in World Cup qualifying on October 7.
- USMNT play in Gold Cup 15 recorde semi final. If the United States wins, it will move up to a tournament record 12e final
- The United States are currently on a seven-game winning streak, tied for the second longest in team history. The USMNT won seven consecutive victories from June 2 to 24, 2007. The record is 12 victories, reached from June 2 to August 14, 2013.
- USMNT are 24-6-3 in 33 games under Gregg Berhalter. If the United States wins tonight, he would become the fastest USMNT head coach to score 25 wins.
- Berhalter is 9-1-0 in Gold Cup games. A win tonight would push him past Juergen Klinsmann to third overall in the US Confederation Championship head coach, behind Bruce Arena (19 wins) and Bob Bradley (14).